'Keep-right' law in N.J. could get even tougher

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
A bill to increase fines for "failure to keep right" passed the state Senate Transportation Committee last week. The measure, which State Sen. Donald Norcross (D., Camden) has sponsored to deter road rage, would increase the maximum fine to $300 from the current $200, and the minimum fine to $100 from the current $50.
New Jersey already has one of the nation's toughest "keep-right" laws. Motorists must stay out of the left lane except to pass, and trucks and buses are forbidden to travel in the far-left lane on highways with three or more lanes in one direction.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/n...ight__law_in_N_J__could_get_even_tougher.html

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I can't say that I have ever seen a motorist issued a ticket for riding in the left lane. I have been on the GSP and several times have witnessed cars going 60mph in the left lane with a trooper 6'' off their rear bumper who, after tailgaiting them for a mile or two, passed them in the right lane.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A friend of mine was ticketed for failure to keep right a few years ago. She said she had pulled into the left lane to allow traffic to enter the highway from a ramp. The trooper wasn't sympathetic and said he had observed her in the left lane for over a minute. She was pretty upset about the whole thing...

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Hey, yet another money-making law for the politicians in New Jersey!

Do you have red light cameras and speed cameras there too? That's a big money making racket here in Arizona, and cops hiding every 20 feet waiting for some honest motorist to make some slight faux pax (= $$$).

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Hey, yet another money-making law for the politicians in New Jersey!

Do you have red light cameras and speed cameras there too? That's a big money making racket here in Arizona, and cops hiding every 20 feet waiting for some honest motorist to make some slight faux pax (= $$$).
Yes on the Red light Cameras have not seen speed cameras yet We have License plate readers that check you for everything

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
We could use a Left Lane Law down here in Florida. The snowbirds come down and just love the left lane on a two lane highway. The funny thing is it's the locals who seem to have all the accidents trying to get around them.
Another month and you all get your seniors back.

Reactions: Trailwalker
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I have no problem with the law and increased fines if it keeps people from "driving" in that lane. I get so tired of people in the left lane doing the same speed as those in all the other lanes. If you're going to use the left lane, pass, then get back over.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I’m all for it. In my neck of the woods the GSP left lane is usually clogged by residents rehearsing their own funeral processions and by out-of-staters who apparently do not have similar laws in their states. Nothing screws up smooth traffic flow like ignoring this law.