Kettlebottoms

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My grandfather was a coal miner in Southern Illinois. Severely burned in a mine explosion and recovered, only to be killed a few years later by a passing car while assisting another driver on the shoulder at dusk. I was very young and only have hazy memories of him. Rough job, going down into a hole in the ground. After that, they really ruined the landscape around there with strip mining, using those huge shovels and trucks that are two stories tall.

• Wow
Reactions: Menantico

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My grandfather was a coal miner in Southern Illinois. Severely burned in a mine explosion and recovered, only to be killed a few years later by a passing car while assisting another driver on the shoulder at dusk. I was very young and only have hazy memories of him. Rough job, going down into a hole in the ground. After that, they really ruined the landscape around there with strip mining, using those huge shovels and trucks that are two stories tall.
Oh yeah, I remember watching tv reports of times the tailing ponds would break out of their enclosures and ruin streams for years due to poor management and no maintenance. That, plus them taking the tops right off of mountains started turning the tide against them.

Reactions: Boyd