Kite photography, Whitesbog, 10/4/09

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the greatest contraption! Kudos to you and Joe for making it. The photo's made my day, and you picked a perfect time of year and place to do it. You should contact some of the private bog owners and ask for permission to use it when they are harvesting.

Well done!

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Oh, Guy, the making of the contraption was ALL Joe. I am just a bystander and kite flyer. He is the technical geek of the pair, that is for sure. I can't even figure how to turn the remote thingy on.

Whitesbog is such a nice spot for a sunny afternoon. It would be really cool to get some shots of harvest. I don't know if we will get the time, I hope so!

We went down for several reasons, but one of them is that we are moving out of state really soon, probably within 8 weeks. I am being transferred to Michigan. We will miss the pines and everything else about NJ.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, they have bogs in Michigan so send us some photo's from there. :D

Sorry to hear you will be leaving the pines. There is so many things that we need to see in a kite that won't happen now.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
We were talking about that. What Piney sites do you guys think would be good for this kind of photography? We were thinking Friendship would be cool, but I can't really think of any other sites that are open enough. You need a lot of open space to launch the kite because it's so big.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We were talking about that. What Piney sites do you guys think would be good for this kind of photography? We were thinking Friendship would be cool, but I can't really think of any other sites that are open enough. You need a lot of open space to launch the kite because it's so big.

If your here around cranberry harvest, a view of the bogs along 563 would be spectacular.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm sorry you'll be leaving the Pines Sue. The 2 Parker Preserves in Chatsworth might look good from the air. Or if you could get it up on the road to Governor's pond near the Warren Grove Range.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Wow!!!
That is awesome. I've seen similar online but never anyone I knew so to speak. Fantastic works for beginners. A lot of other stuff out there is a mess.
You should be proud, and you shared a good day, and a great view.
Thanks!

g.

Oct 25, 2006

Howardsville.

Jim

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Those are really great Sue, thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're moving away, have enjoyed your posts over the years. Let us know how you like Michigan.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Actually, that's the old rig and camera, we have a new setup now. Joe just took it out and assembled it just for you guys. :D

Here's the rig and new camera with the wide angle lens

IMG_2468.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

And here is one of our kites. This one is huge and strong, so we have three of these in different sizes. In a stiff wind, it will lift you right off the ground!
IMG_2374.jpg

We also have a delta-shaped kite with spars that's a champ, but I don't think we have any photos of that one. We used that one yesterday, and it suffered a serious injury that did not become apparent until we brought it down. We came really close to dunking our camera in the bog! The delta kite looks pretty much like this one
Delta.jpg

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Those are really great Sue, thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're moving away, have enjoyed your posts over the years. Let us know how you like Michigan.

Thanks, I will. :)

I am a bit apprehensive about moving, but it's nice to stay employed! It tends to keep us from eating out of dumpsters.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see orbs in that photo, you have ghosts in your house :) Seriously, that is a major advancement from the first setup. Very well made.

Guy

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Nah, that's just dirt. We need to vacuum this place! How embarrassing. :)

The new rig is about 10x lighter, and the new camera is the gold standard for kite photography. MAN is it good for the job, especially with that lens. What a difference. I don't think they're even in production anymore, but people still sell them on Ebay.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wouldn't go near Warren Grove with that rig :D

My nephew lives in Michigan,south of Saginaw. You will have snow this winter :)