Knockin' Around

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All I know is by the time Wharton was purchased in 1954-1955 it was called the “Former State Forest Nursery”. The building there was built by the CCC, so I would suspect that all of these groves at one time or another were used by the CCC.

Guy

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
I stopped by that grove this past weekend. Very cool. I ended up flinging a tick off of me while there. While we were in the area, we stopped at Buckingham along the power lines. Same as the other reports I've seen here. Sounded like hunting dogs barking from a house or hunting club just beyond the trees. We didn't stick around long.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
On the litter topic, we had a favorite hangout on the bogs North of Hampton furnace. We got out there one day and found a big pile of junk. Well there were also a couple of trash bags in the pile. We started looking around and found some mail and magazines with the same indian mills area address. A friend I was with knew the road so we loaded up the trash and about 2 am we returned it to its rightful owner. Left it all over his yard. Did a few doughnuts on the yard just for good measure too.( There may have been strong drink involved but I'm a little foggy here). Another time we loaded up a pile and took it to Atsion Ranger station and asked if we could use the dumpster. They gave us such a hard time I thought we would be stuck with it. Long story short if you are gonna haul stuff out of Wharton let the ranger know ahead of time.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
On the litter topic, we had a favorite hangout on the bogs North of Hampton furnace. We got out there one day and found a big pile of junk. Well there were also a couple of trash bags in the pile. We started looking around and found some mail and magazines with the same indian mills area address. A friend I was with knew the road so we loaded up the trash and about 2 am we returned it to its rightful owner. Left it all over his yard. Did a few doughnuts on the yard just for good measure too.( There may have been strong drink involved but I'm a little foggy here). Another time we loaded up a pile and took it to Atsion Ranger station and asked if we could use the dumpster. They gave us such a hard time I thought we would be stuck with it. Long story short if you are gonna haul stuff out of Wharton let the ranger know ahead of time.

I fully support citizen action in such cases. The doughnuts may have been a little overboard, but you can be forgiven a youthful indiscretion :).

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
No sign that we saw Guy. We were in the NE and NW areas. The only thing I saw was an old metal pipe sticking out between the rows on the NE side. Kinda like an old marker. We should have walked around a bit more. But we did see the locust skin attached to one of the trees that some one wrote about in a posting above.
Pete