Know what these are?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anyone know what these are? They appear to be terra cotta or something like that. They are not plastic. The one on the right has what appears to be black tar on it as if it was on a tarred roof at one time maybe as some sort of vent. RednekF350 and I stumbled onto them today while searching for stones in Wharton.

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Guy

I couldn't even take a guess on what they are.

Did you and Scott find the stones you were looking for ?

Jim

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Found almost all of them. According to Scott’s map, this was the boundary for the Jackson Glassworks.

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

If I had all of my coordinates in my GPS, we would have looked for one at Parkdale that I have been trying to get to for a while. Hopefully Scott and I will have a few minutes in the next month or so to make that happen.

Guy

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
My guess would be chimney caps. Usually made of terracota and added a decorative touch to buildings. There is one in Landis Valley Museum in Lancaster County, PA that is shaped like a human head.

Very cool find!

Edit: Yes, they are chimney caps (pots). Here is a site for modern ones and one looks like the one you found, sorta. Again, excellent find! Were there any maker's marks you could see?

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Custom-Chimney-Caps/Clay-Chimney-Pots

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Their location is within view of a lot of houses and they looked to have been recently placed there.
IMO, probably brought home by a builder/remodeler from a jobsite and then drug into the woods by his kids or someone else's kids.
Damn kids. :)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Their location is within view of a lot of houses and they looked to have been recently placed there.
IMO, probably brought home by a builder/remodeler from a jobsite and then drug into the woods by his kids or someone else's kids.
Damn kids. :)

I don't want to seem odd but, if they are discard, and not the historical leavings of Barrens history... why not take them out?
If they are trash who cares? Those things are cool and would be interesting adornments in one's landscape, garden or such. Please don't think me trailor trash with crap in my yard, I do not have. Things of that nature are intersting though. I would find a home for them.

g.

TrailOtter

Explorer
Nov 24, 2007
I don't want to seem odd but, if they are discard, and not the historical leavings of Barrens history... why not take them out?
If they are trash who cares? Those things are cool and would be interesting adornments in one's landscape, garden or such.

g.

I agree - they are neat.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
difinetly chiminey caps, look very much euorpean may be english or german ? don't seen too common round here....but maybe in filthadelphia or suburbs

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
You found the ventilator shafts for the secret alien underground experimental base hidden in the Barrens!!

Sorry couldn't resist. They would look cool in a garden. They don't look like they have been there for more than a few months.

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
Of course we all "know" Area 39 does not exist, and the Ongs Hat project imploded. But that still leaves us with the Blue Hole, which is filled with water to give the impression of a natural feature. The Browns Mills episode covered by Orson Wells, was just a tale. Or was it? Aliens have been spotted for centuries in the Barrens. A tale has sprung up over the years to steer us way from the truth, hence the tale of Mrs. Leeds 13th child. But now we have photographic evidence of the existance of an unexplained underground ventilation system. Since the vent covers do not appear to have been there long, it may be a new extention of the complex. They have been pre weathered and tarred to give the appearence of being "dumped" by a thoughtless person who is too lazy to dispose them legally. Perhaps now the strange things we have seen and heard in the pines may now be explained.