Labor Day Canoe Trip

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
It's that time of year again, The Folcher Family Canoe Trip hits the water the morning of Labor Day. The rental clowns return, take heed locals they will be crossing the Delaware River Bridges and coming from the manicured lawns of Cherry Hill to try their luck at the wild but not wide Wading River. I expect water levels to be excellent as we borrow a bunch of Mick's/Pine Barrens Canoes and try to get most of them back by dusk (just kidding Mick's folks.)
All are welcome and a great time is promised! Rental Rates are sky high so the more canoes we rent the lower the price. We even have a wonderful German family (my cousin and her husband and girls) who will be staking out a claim to this beautiful land just like the Germans did so many years ago in what is now Egg Harbor City.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Hey Tom,
I just went this past Wednesday and it was a beautiful day. The water level was a good height and not too swift and the temperature was not bad at all. Took the Quaker Briage to Batsto care of Bel Haven.
Kevin

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Tom, what is your put in and take out? How many of your kin do you expect?

I would say at least 10 canoes but I'm hoping for 15-20. There are always a lot of last minute bailouts on this thing but balancing that out are the surprise guests some of the kin bring along. I'm drumming up support for this thing because I love being out there with my family. We have had 20+ canoes in the past, its fluctuates from year to year. My dad was known to jump from the cliffs at Wharton Bank no matter how low the water was. To see a 70 year old nutcase jump into 3 inches of water and get up and be fine was part of his legend.

We always take out at beaver branch. The put in is decided by what time everyone arrives, as the earlier we can get on the river the longer the trip. Evans Bridge has been the put in the last couple years. Short distance because we tend to stop and hang out, taking our time down the river.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Hey Tom,
I just went this past Wednesday and it was a beautiful day. The water level was a good height and not too swift and the temperature was not bad at all. Took the Quaker Briage to Batsto care of Bel Haven.
Kevin

Kevin,

I like the QB to Batsto run too man. I love swimming in these little rivers man I can't wait for monday!

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
We've been doing this for 30+ years and this year was one to remember. 16 canoes 35 people give or take and a perfect day.

my cousins Noodling around:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We've been doing this for 30+ years and this year was one to remember. 16 canoes 35 people give or take and a perfect day.

my cousins Noodling around:

That is hilarious Tom. City folk if I've ever seen any. What did you do, buy 6 of those Bud Light 30 packs? I'll bet they really were as limp as noodles at the end of the run.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Tom,
You earned this one brother....
What in the Blue F**k was that???

holy crap dude, city folk or Millbillies? (sorry Al)
You have my thanks for sharing, and my admiration for enduring.
That........ is why I only canoe alone or in very small two or three canoe excursions tops.

g.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Tom,
You earned this one brother....
What in the Blue F**k was that???

holy crap dude, city folk or Millbillies? (sorry Al)
You have my thanks for sharing, and my admiration for enduring.
That........ is why I only canoe alone or in very small two or three canoe excursions tops.

g.

Imagine PBX coming up to a water crossing and meeting my wild cousins. Now that would be something.