Labor Day Exploring

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Bob and I spent our Labor Day morning and early afternoon exploring in Woodland Township. It didn't take long for us to stumble on this secret location.

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

Bob couldn't resist and he had to partake.

IMG_0392.JPG

I have to say I didn't partake but there were a few minutes where I had a loss of memory. Hopefully Bob can shed some light on that. It was very strange.

Found a few Green Acres monuments along the way.

IMG_0394.JPG

Bob recently discovered this interesting tree.

IMG_0396.JPG

And we explored the confluence of the Pope Branch and the Shoal Branch.

IMG_0401.JPG

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When we found that old stash, I broke open one of those homemade pipes and found a little hash oil left in a small bottle. I dared Guy to try it..."take a few tokes, says I, you'll go into dreamland". Gut did take a few, and it was hard to get him up and going after that. It was stronger than I thought! He kept mumbling about beautiful stones with strange markings on them.

guyout.JPG
guysnemesis.JPG

Reactions: John and Teegate

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Red oak normally has less vertical breaks in the bark than that one, other than at the very base. It also isn't commonly found in the pine barrens. Southern red (aka Spanish) oak is found closer to the coast and has bark closer to that in that photo. But if I had to take a guess based on what I can see, I'd say Black oak, which is more common in the pines. All of the above, being in the Red oak group, have pointed lobed leaves. Oaks can be tough. There is much variation between individuals of a species and they also like to hybridize.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have called northern red oak ,black oak for years and i was informed it was red oak so now I call it red oak.I know the difference between southern and northern red oak but what is the difference between black and red? They look the same to me.If I need a hand lens to tell the difference then as far as I"m concerned they are the same.The bark in the pic looks like the bark of the trees I have in my yard.I have Pitch Pine,Sassafras,one Dogwood and a bunch of either red oaks or black oaks.

Reactions: 46er

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Al, if someone corrected you it is possible that they were simplifying the whole Red vs. White oak group thing by calling every species in the red oak group red oaks, which would be incorrect. Both Red and White oaks are merely the species heading up those two broad divisions. The terminology can be misleading. That's why scientific names are commonly used in many circles even if some (yes, you Guy!!:p) don't like them.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
so what do you use to differentiate black from red oaks? The leaves? in which case your left hanging in winter or the bark?White oak bark is easy to identify from the red/black group at a great distance.can red and black be told apart?I"ll google this and see if they have pics of the various bark.