Lacey Materials Burned

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Walked in the Lacey Materials today after the controlled burn over a week ago. They burned as far as I could see from Lacey Road to the back of the cleared areas and into the woods beyond that. They even burned each individual pine island regardless of size. They widened and graded some roads in the back by the entrance to fence/stone hill road and also in the south west corner up on the ridge. There was also 3 large piles of dirt clearly placed by heavy machinery near the road that leads to the Tuckerton Railroad/ Frazees Bridge. This area was always washed out and eroded due to differences in grade. Not sure what their plans are.

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Was out exploring the materials again today, They graded the road from the materials to the railroad and the railroad bed from that intersection to mountain road. They are now like super highways. They also widened the road to Frazees Bridge. With the old trail you would be just about rubbing the sides right before the bridge. Now 2 trucks could easily pass each other. The also graded and the road is now even with the top of the bridge on both sides. No more drop offs. Funny how the state/county claims the need to preserve the flora and restrict access. But then goes and bulldozes countless trees. I guess its all for fire control?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I haven't been past LM's in quite a while. Is the entrance on Lacey rd now open? Is there a marked or graded road from the entrance through the pit to the road in the back? I'm speculating they will grade and improve the entire road to Jones road and maybe Jones road to rt 532, it certainly needs it. Now that this large tract is county owned the public has a right to access it along with LE patrols.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
The main entrance on Lacey Road is not open. They have graded the road from the front entrance all the way to the railroad. You could connect to 532 or Jones road through Mountain to Bryant road but for the longest time there was a huge mud pit in the way unless you had 50" tires. There is now a cut path through the trees around the mud. I dont think the plan is to open it up. I was on the mountain too and they marked the road as a trail to the top with red blazes. On the top were about 20 of those concrete barriers with the rebar lifting eye. Just like the ones all around the white gate entrance by carriage road. I am not sure if they are using them to block the road or prevent more erosion on the north east slope

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Thanks. I'm assuming there are future plans, otherwise, why go through the trouble and expense? You say the mountain access road is now marked as a trail? What is to prevent folks from driving to the top as they have in the past? Did they clean up the ashes from the bonfires? I have seen things change from the late 60's when I first started exploring. Back then most of the roads were in poor shape and there was a narrow overgrown eroded trail of sorts to the top of the mountain. Unless Jones rd from 532 was recently graded, last time I was there, there were huge water hazards fully across the road and they looked deep.

As for the new concrete barriers, they're for our safety since the property is now public and the county is responsible. As for the erosion, ask Mother Nature to stop. I think the only way would be to pave it. Planting grass or trees would be fruitless at this stage.