Lady Slippers And Other Things

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

An early start took us to the usual location we always find Pink Lady Slippers.

IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

4687d.jpg

Jessica found a new boot that might fit her :)

IMG_4698.JPG

We also found a US Coast And Geodetic Survey Monument tossed in the woods almost 4 miles from where it was originally located 60 years or more ago. It was originally on the curve by Batsto in the area of the entrance of today. Notice it is monument number 17804.

IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4701a.jpg

IMG_4702.JPG

17804.jpg

Then this evening I visited Friendship Bogs until Jennifer called and said our cable line came off the pole at the street and the police and fire trucks were at the house. On our way to Friendship we met this friendly turkey.

IMG_4722.JPG

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Nice lady slipper shots, especially the close-ups! I checked just before I left and found only one; are there several there now? Remember how we were looking for others around Goose Pond? I read that they like "rich woods" so perhaps in that area the soil was too thin.

That monument is an interesting find. Did you put it back where it belongs? Or take it home for your rock garden? :)

Glo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice lady slipper shots, especially the close-ups! I checked just before I left and found only one; are there several there now? Remember how we were looking for others around Goose Pond? I read that they like "rich woods" so perhaps in that area the soil was too thin.

That monument is an interesting find. Did you put it back where it belongs? Or take it home for your rock garden? :)

Glo

There were 3 where we were on the road, and I found one off into the woods about 10 feet. I left the monument but may go back for it one day. Even though it has been discarded it still is illegal to take anything from the pines. I took one monument years ago and have it in my yard. It had been removed by a front end loader I presume and after contacting the National Geodetic Survey they told me if I wanted it I could have it. I took it.

removed.jpg

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
This must be a good year for Lady Slippers. They seem to me to be a bit more numerous in the usual places I find them. I was also trout fishing this past Mother’s Day in northwestern Passaic County and saw loads of them up there as well.