Lamb Legs and the Menantico

My friend Rick Whitehead of Bridgeton recently released an independent film titled "Menantico Blues." It is based on the hyper-local legend of Lamb Legs, a crypto-animal who haunts the woods of Newcombtown, Millville, Leamings Mill, and the Menantico Lakes. The cinematography of the Cumberland County pines where I grew up is fantastic, and I even play a small part as Young Pete around the 16th-17th minute. The scene I'm in was shot at the Maurice River Bluffs in southern Millville. While most of the "actors" are people I know and are locals (as you can tell by the accents), we were lucky enough to get Hacksaw Jim Duggan from the WWF to play a part too!

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That was really well done. A lot of it was very funny. I especially liked seeing lambs leg the first time. The way they made his legs bent is a hoot! And I really got involved in the fight at the end. Rick is a good storyteller and producer.

What about the Lamburt boys? Fiction? Al probably knows them. :)

Also, you were sitting next to a fire on the bluff. Is that done by the locals too? Is that private property?

Last edited:
That was really well done. A lot of it was very funny. I especially liked seeing lambs leg the first time. The way they made his legs bent is a hoot! And I really got involved in the fight at the end. Rick is a good storyteller and producer.

What about the Lamburt boys? Fiction? Al probably knows them. :)

Also, you were sitting next to a fire on the bluff. Is that done by the locals too? Is that private property?

As long as I've been going there, people have been making fires in that pit. I'm pretty sure thats all Nature Conservancy property.

davis

Jan 14, 2020
Clarksville, Indiana
In Weird NJ, issue 45, they offer several possibilities. My guess is the legend came from the farmer who got tired of kids partying on his property. Left to imagination and storytellers, it sure made a great story.