large block off RR in Atsion?

T

TabernacleNative

So I'm hiking out of Atsion yesterday and I find a large square depression off the RR away from the rest of the old homes in the woods. As I get over to it, there is a huge concrete block in the center of it, anchored into the ground. Its about 3 ft. x 3 ft. and very solid. It has four holes drilled into the top of it, obviously something was mounted on it. Anyone know what this was??

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I believe what you found is the Atsion train turnstile. Good find on your part. It has been talked about here before, just do a search. I believe it's mentioned in the book about the Blue Comet. I have walked and driven by that numerous times and never knew it existed until someone on here mentioned it. That's why this website rocks!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Trailhead is most likely correct. Here is my post on that. I fixed some of the links so the photo's mostly work now.

Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TabernacleNative

Thanks Guy! As I expected, I figured you'd have the info. Your picture confirms that is exactly what I found. I've never explored over there since I figured the outskirts of Atsion ended at the tracks. I've just been working off trails lately preparing for an upcoming trip and have been finding more things. Including more foundations along the walking path from the Atsion Schoolhouse. Obviously Atsion used to be much more spread out.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Turntable

I know this is an old post but... Yep, that is correct. It is the site of the Engine facilities of the Raritan, Delaware Bay, and Atco Railroad that ran from Atsion to Atco. There was a turntable, an engine house and coaling facility with the same in Atco where the dirt parking lot it next to the NJT tracks. You can follow the right of way with google maps or something similar. It's straight most of the way. And it is a neat find as from what I've read, the facilities were abandoned in 1885.

rforce1024

Oct 2, 2024
NJ
I believe what you found is the Atsion train turnstile. Good find on your part. It has been talked about here before, just do a search. I believe it's mentioned in the book about the Blue Comet. I have walked and driven by that numerous times and never knew it existed until someone on here mentioned it. That's why this website rocks!
If you don't mind me asking and if you still have access to this post, where would I be able to find this? Is this by the atsion lake?
I would really like to see this. Thanks

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Unfortunately, Trailhead00 has not visited the site since 2011. Not immediately familiar with this location and the old link in Guy's post above is broken (will see if we can fix that). But looking at LIDAR just now, I'm wondering if this is the turntable (turnstile?)

https://boydsmaps.com/#17.00/39.736769/-74.725150/midatlidar/0.00/0.00

screenshot.png

rforce1024

Oct 2, 2024
NJ
By looking at the map, there is something circular and the old tracks run close to it.also It doesn't look that far off on rt 206. Which kinda looks like it's around the furnace.. maybe this weekend if the weather is nice I may take a ride up there..

rforce1024

Oct 2, 2024
NJ
Also I was just told by friends that live in Indian Mills last night that there were old tracks just north of atsion lake where rt206 bends to the right