large block off RR in Atsion?

rforce1024

Oct 2, 2024
NJ
There were never any tracks north of the lake. The lake is north of what used to be two separate crossings across 206. I moved the crosshair into that spot.
I didn't know that there were two separate crossings... Hmm interesting.. I found a post on Facebook that showed a freight train crossing over 206 back in 1973.. what rail they were using I don't know..
Thanks for the information.

rforce1024

Oct 2, 2024
NJ
I was trying to understand that myself... I don't remember tracks at the bend either.. I told him that unless it was somewhere else he mistaken.. it's all good..
Unless he was trying to explain the old tracks up on 206 heading to Vincentown but 206 doesn't bend after rt 38 heading to Vincentown

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There were never tracks north of the lake. The southern spur crossed 206 just south of the entrance into the recreation area and slightly north of where the JCRR tracks crossed until they were removed.

Reactions: Boyd

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
They were up for a long while after the trains stopped running but eventually were removed.
Do you know when the Atco spur tracks were removed? I believe I was told in the 1920’s. In the 1930s aerial it looks like they are removed in Atco but it kind of looks like there’s still tracks crossing 206.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have photos of the ties still intact flush with the ground. I took them about 15 or 20 years ago. I have not been back to see if they are still showing. I can check Jerseyman’s book tonight where I am sure it says when they were removed.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I have photos of the ties still intact flush with the ground. I took them about 15 or 20 years ago. I have not been back to see if they are still showing. I can check Jerseyman’s book tonight where I am sure it says when they were removed.
Yes, I’ve seen the ties. This is a picture of them, and Cole, in 2014.

IMG_0850.jpeg

Reactions: Boyd