Large White Property Stone in Greenwood

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

For years I have continually looked for a "Large White Stone" in Greenwood forest in the vicinity of Bullock. The information I have pretty much required me to find another stone in order to find this one. However, I knew the general location. With the woods in that area burned recently, today was the day to give it another try. I had made a line through the woods with waypoints in my GPS and we started at the end point walking towards the last location. Less than 200 feet from the last location we found it. This stone is a "lost" stone by which I mean it will never again be on a surveyors list. It is sitting in the middle of state land.

largewhite.jpg

IMG_1911.JPG

I looked to see if it was incised and it was not.

IMG_1916.JPG

While there Jessica found this interesting leaf.

IMG_1919.JPG

There are other stones and this find may may draw them out.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

For years I have also been looking for a stone called the "Red Stone" that would be in the Woodmansie burn area which burned earlier this year. After many futile searches I was relieved to find the large white stone that I posted about recently as it would surely help me find the red stone. By using the large white stone in conjunction with various others I have found in the Bullock area, Jessica and I traveled there this morning to give it a go. A short walk off a main road in Greenwood Forest and we were at the location. The area is full of burned logs and stumps making the search somewhat tough. But at the last moment before giving up I noticed that this burned stump looked different.

IMG_1990.jpg

With a little cleanup and a few unfortunate scrapes on the top from poking it with my walking stick, we have a really nice "Red Stone."

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

The old map my information was from is a deed or map between Harry L. Neall and others to Adams Clay Mining Company from 1902. The property where the Red Stone is located is shown to be owned by a Thomas B. Harvey.

IMG_2000.jpg

I believe but am not certain the B stands for Biddle. This most likely was the owner but more research is needed to make sure. In any event, the Red Stone survey most certainly was made before the tract in the above photo was carved out which was before 1902.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=37622212&PIpi=18124664

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Some of you may remember back in 2006 and 2007 that I spent much of those years searching out the property stones for the Hanover Furnace Tract. I concentrated on the southern portion for the most part where many of the stones are in the Greenwood Forest area. At that time there was one stone in particular that I was never able to find after almost 10 searches which was described in the Joseph Cox survey notes as being at the "Head of the Indian Jake Branch." This was in 1861 or shortly before that.

So last evening while planning my search locations for today I decided to give it another try. It is near Old Half Way where I had other things to look for and I figured why not waste 15 minutes of my day searching again. I wasn't going to find it anyway!

Indian%20Jake%20Branch.jpg

We again went to the general location we visited years ago and in less than two minutes my walking stick hit stone under dense vegetation.

IMG_2003.JPG

A property corner of Richard and Benjamin Jones, owners of the Hanover Furnace Tract. It also is a corner for the Jones Mill Tract.

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

Guy

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not want to disturb it. If I had any clue there was something on it I would have flipped it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am getting a handle on the property lots at Old Half Way that various owners had back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. So now with the recent fire there it is a perfect time to explore. In the past few days I have come up with where I believe the property lines were and this morning I decided to walk them. I was wandering around getting my bearings and stumbled onto this concrete monument that the fire uncovered which I had no idea would be in this area.

IMG_2020.JPG

I finally made it to the line and followed it to this.

IMG_2025.JPG

Then almost at the pits at Old Half Way I found this.

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am pretty sure it is sandstone.

That is the property corner for one of the clay pit properties. I have to assume that just like with cedar swamps, the clay property was in high demand. So everyone was getting their little piece of the pie during that time. This corner divides the property of N.P.Todd and J.C. Harvey and Thomas Gibbs.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I found the same kind of metal post a few days ago while searching for an Amatol monument.Also found an old blaze near the stake but no monument,no granite stone at the other location a thousand feet away either,just an old pink ribbon lying on the ground at that spot.Hoping for better things at Cumberland County historical society when i go back with names on wednesday.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I stayed home this morning and replaced the head lights on my daughters car. On a Honda CRV you have to remove the front bumper to do that. Anyway, the clarity difference between the old and new light is unbelievable.

jen_lights.jpg

Because of that we headed out in the late morning and spent an unusual afternoon in the pines. We explored Old Half Way again and found another stone with the steel pole next to it. This was the property of J. C. Harvey.

IMG_2037.jpg

Guy

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Does she drive in sandstorms much? :)

I remember from some of my readings that you can often polish some of that out with a special polishing compound and buffer on a drill.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She had them polished twice and I suspect they were polished before she bought the car. They refused to do them again because the plastic was getting thin.

She looked into buying them from Honda but they wanted $600 for both of them. So we purchased non Honda lights for $250. One of the lights on my car I replaced with a non Ford light and it has been fine for me so she went that route.

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
I replaced them on my 94 chevy 3500 HD rollback. Got them at advance auto. What a difference they make seeing at night.
Now I have to do my 92 blazer, Just replaced the tail lights last month.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was wondering where they could be purchased. We got all three of ours from my brother-in-law who is a mechanic at Accura. I put them all on.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice to know. The bulb on the replacement one I put on my car went bad last winter on one of the coldest days of the year. I was trying to replace it and broke the cover that goes in front of the bulb. I used five minute epoxy to glue it and it still is working fine. If it falls off I think I may just buy the complete unit again.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I use the 3M kit, got it from autozone. Just using the polish did not work well, might if it lightly hazed. The 3M made them like new. There is a coating on the plastic that deteriorates from UV and has to be removed, then the plastic polished. The 3M kit has all of what you need except the drill, which should be adjustable for speed, 3M says to use low speed. Cost about $15 and is reusable.