Lazy river paddle

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Last week was my annual summer vacation from work. Most years I spend the first half of the week camping in Vermont with my family. After camping my sister, brother in law and nephew come down from Vermont and we spend the rest of the time doing things in Jersey. Due to obligations I had Saturday, Sunday and Monday I was unable to go to Vermont this past vacation. We skipped the camping and my family came down rom Vermont late Saturday night. This gave me more time to do things around home.

Gabe and I have been wanting to do a weekday paddle to avoid the crowds, we just never set the day or the river. This would be the perfect time to go. I contacted Gabe on Monday and we made plans to do the paddle on Thursday but with the forecast for thunderstorms Thursday afternoon we made the desision to go Tuesday. Gabe invited me down to his Grandmothers home on the Mullica and we decided to do a section of the Mullica.

With the plans set, my brother in law Jeff and I met Gabe at 11 am on Tuesday at his Grandmothers house and we loaded up the boats in my truck and headed up to Constable Bridge to put in.

Gabe wanted to paddle upstream a little ways form or put in spot to show me an area of iron deposits on the river bank.The area was a solid shelf right to the river, a nice spot to take a break.
011-4.jpg

The boats and Jeff.
012-2.jpg

The veiw of the Mullica from our down river starting point.
010-3.jpg

Gabe taking the lead and showing us his river.
013-3.jpg

This was Jeffs first time in a kayak and on a Pine Barren river. It didn't take him long to get the hang of it.
014-3.jpg

Gabe and Jeff on the Mullica in a real nice area that runs through a mix of cedar and maple.
016-2.jpg

As we were joking about the river looking like it should have some gators in it Gabe said he could show us two right up the river. Our Mullica gators.
018-2.jpg

The beautiful Mullica.
019-2.jpg

Jeff and Gabe in Sweetwater on the Mullica.
020-2.jpg

Coming up to The Forks.
022-1.jpg

Jeff looked like he was glad to have his green tea on such a warm summer day.
023-2.jpg

Gabe almost at the end of the paddle.
024-2.jpg

It turned out to be a great day to spend on a lazy river.

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Chris,

Sorry to hear about Vermont, but the trip on the river sure made up for it. Thanks for sharing the photo's.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What, Gabe did not dive down into the depths for you? He is famous for that, kind of like the horse at Steel Pier (for those who remember).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am assuming you are refering to the time he held I believe the turtle just out of the water? If so, what hike was that....I may have a photo?

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Oh that looks so nice!

"It's the ONLY thing... nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"

- Water Rat, in The Wind In The Willows

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I am assuming you are refering to the time he held I believe the turtle just out of the water? If so, what hike was that....I may have a photo?

Guy

Actually, I think that was Jeff. That was our canoe/kayak trip down the Atsion Creek a few years back. Steve was with us that day.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Have the rains improved the run down the Oswego? I have a friend I want to go with, but I need another party to join us with a truck or vehicle to lift my canoe back to start. I'd like to do it maybe next friday.​

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Bob,

On Monday a.m. I was up past the pumphouse, hiking towards Buck Run and the water was higher than it was in the past month.....(if that helps). On the back waterways it seemed to be running a bit slow.....
On the Wading this past Sunday eve. it was high & movin' but dropped fairly quickly within the past 3 days.
Harrisville Lake was slightly high this evening.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
"Gabe and I have been wanting to do a weekday paddle to avoid the crowds, we just never set the day or the river. This would be the perfect time to go. I contacted Gabe on Monday and we made plans to do the paddle on Thursday but with the forecast for thunderstorms Thursday afternoon we made the desision to go Tuesday. Gabe invited me down to his Grandmothers home on the Mullica and we decided to do a section of the Mullica."

You picked the right spot! Most of the rental places were closed due to high water and dangerous conditions last weekend. Micks didn't reopen until Wednesday and even then had problems.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I hope Jeff enjoyed his first trip down a pine barrens river. You guys can come down anytime.

He had a blast! When we got home he was looking on Craigs list for a used kayak, he wants his own now. He has alot of nice places in Vermont to use it and he will be back down to use it in the pines.

I'll come down again soon, maybe next time we can hit the Batsto.

Chris

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I sure do miss all that.

Here's my good old IK on the shore of Lake Oswego.

Attachments

• Lake Oswego, Sea Eagle Explorer, 21Oct1990.jpg
    Lake Oswego, Sea Eagle Explorer, 21Oct1990.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 294