Lebanon state forest/others

Espo55

Scout
Mar 24, 2011
I was just at the lumberton walmart getting my friend a fishing license, and there was a guy at the counter who said he was part of the nj forest fire service...we got to talking and he told me some pretty disturbing and crazy shit...

as we got to taking he told me the following things...first off and most startling, he told me that apple pie hill was now closed to the public...i knew this, but what he told me next was worse...he claimed that if you are caught anywhere at apple pie hill you will be ticketed and serve at least 30 days in county jail. i mentioned that i had been there recently, because in march i took a few trips out there, one driving, where i noticed that the state put up a brand new yellow metal crossbar barrier to prevent automobile access...there were still people all over the place and i never see rangers there....additionally, in march i hiked a 15 mile section along the area where apple pie hill is and doubled back and it went straight by....he told me that the state changed the route of the batona trail so that it doesnt go directly by apple pie hill any longer and that access is even more restricted.

he also told me that if you are caught at quarter mile, the charges are the same and you will face jail time. the same thing goes for hidden lakes, he told me that if you are caught anywhere in the area of the wma you will be ticketed and possibly expect jail time. i asked him how that was possible because it was in a wma and that i knew automobile access was forbidden but that i thought you should be able to hike or hunt there as usual and he said this was not the case; even if you wanted to hunt legally in season the only way you would even be allowed in the wma was if you got a permit to be there.

there were many other things he told me but these were the most vivid in my mind...the last thing i remember was that he said he camped at oswego lake and i thought that although no one would bother you because the area isnt well patrolled that it was illegal to camp outside of the designated camping areas in the pine barrens

last but not least, he told me that if lebanon state forest doesnt generate enough revenues this season that it will shut down indefinitely and all of the facilities will be closed...is this true?!

do any of you have any information on this?! i know its illegal to be at a few of the spots he mentioned but i had no idea the charges could be so severe, especially since i see people at apple pie hill all the time, as an example...

any input is greatly appreciated

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Only vehicle traffic is not permitted at Quarter Mile. They are not worried about people walking there. I suspect the same for all the other locations also. I know the WMA land is closed at dusk so you may not want to be there then. However, the public roads are open and they can't stop you from using them unless they have signs saying so like at Quarter Mile.

Hidden lakes has had a sign there for years noting that vehicle traffic is not permitted so if you are caught there you may have a problem.

Lets see what others think.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I would contact Wharton regarding qtr mile, Fish & Widlife regarding the WMA rumor and the park service regarding Lebanon. I was at Lebanon recently and except for a couple of state trucks there was no activity anywhere. I sure would not believe some guy behind a counter though. :D

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I've always had this problem of going wherever I wanted to.I've sought help for it,counseling,tresspassing therapy and so forth,nothing has helped.Are there any others out there with this problem?
Al

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've always had this problem of going wherever I wanted to.I've sought help for it,counseling,tresspassing therapy and so forth,nothing has helped.Are there any others out there with this problem?
Al

Aye, I have the same malady Mate. Tis a bit of the stubborn Irish on me mum's side I suppose.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al

When helicopters fly over your head it does make one think about doing that :)

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Al

Unfortunately, thats what helps get more areas closed down :rolleyes:

Espo55

Scout
Mar 24, 2011
Thanks for your input guys...i didnt really know whether to believe all the crazy stuff he was telling me but he seemed to know what he was talking about haha, and i guess the verbal badge of being in the forest fire service gave him a confidence boost

just was wondering, since what he told me seemed over the top

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
My excuse is that I'm Polish. Irish people may be stubborn and go where they want. Polish people like myself just get lost and have no clue where they are :)
Greg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to work with a man who was half polish and half italian.He thought he was a mafia thug but he kept beating himself up.
We got into a discussion on geneaology once and he confided in me that he was descended from someone very famous but would not divulge who it was,seems his italian lineage had been traced very far back indeed.He would not give up the name till a coworker said whats a matter Bob?Don't want anyone to know your related to Pontius Pilate? He said he would rather not sread it around.Can't blame him myself.
Al

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
I was mountain biking in Lebanon(brendon byrne) Sunday and was suprised to see the forest office was open since it was closed most all of last year.

Espo55

Scout
Mar 24, 2011
yea...im...pretty sure it was closed all last summer? not positive but i was there a few times and it was closed...either way im hoping this guy was tellin some big lies