Leek-McKeen Cemetery

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was surfing my topo cd"s today while working terraserver on another screen looking for more places to explore,mainly islands in swamps and marshes.(I"m obsessed with islands especially those that are hard to access) and I was checking out swamps in the lower wading watershed when I rehappened upon a place near the 542 bridge over the wading called on the topo Leek-McKeen cemetery so I surfed it on terraserver and could not make out the small clearing shown on the map.Has anyone ever been here,how old is the cemetery?Is it kept up or forgotten?
Al

B

BarryC

Al,
I have been to it many times. It's kept up, and inside a chain-link fence. It's from the late 1700s, and the sign calls it the Adams-Leek-McKeen Cemetery. You can see one picture of it in my photo gallery, although I don't remember what page it's on.
As you go on 542 from Batsto, and you cross the Wading River Bridge, notice the big white house on the left after going over the Bridge. It's behind that house.
In the woods next to the cemetery are some more graves, including that of the wife of Jesse Evans, the ironmaster of Martha. Those graves in the woods were originally around the old Friends Meeting House that used to be there.
Barry
manumuskin said:
I was surfing my topo cd"s today while working terraserver on another screen looking for more places to explore,mainly islands in swamps and marshes.(I"m obsessed with islands especially those that are hard to access) and I was checking out swamps in the lower wading watershed when I rehappened upon a place near the 542 bridge over the wading called on the topo Leek-McKeen cemetery so I surfed it on terraserver and could not make out the small clearing shown on the map.Has anyone ever been here,how old is the cemetery?Is it kept up or forgotten?
Al

B

bach2yoga

Have we been there?
What is the cemetery out out Clark Landing road? on the island?
Al would love that one!
Renee

B

BarryC

I don't think I took you to that one.
The one where the Clarks are buried- I have no idea what 's called. I always referred to it as the Clark graves, lol. Yeah Al would like that.
bach2yoga said:
Have we been there?
What is the cemetery out out Clark Landing road? on the island?
Al would love that one!
Renee

luvs2yak

Hi...I visited the McKeen Cemetery this past weekend and found it so interesting. Even more so the graves outside the fence. Was there looking for Lucy Evans site after reading some of the history of her being a Quaker Minister and her husband Jesse being the manager of Martha.
Does anyone know anything about the stone inscribed " E KindL 1825" ??? BTW...Thom and Ruth Clarks gravesite from 1752 mentioned in prior post is a neat spot also for those who have not been there.

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Mitch and I are heading that way tomorrow. There are 3 cemeterys in that area from what I have read. We were down that way a few weeks ago too looking around. Will have tro check out the Clark Landing RD. one too if I can find it. It's in that area?

Nykki

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
I was in the area of the Leekstown cemetery yesterday and I noticed there is another cemetery down the road farther closer to Rt. 9 on the same side of the road. If I am not mistaken it is near a junkyard. It looked pretty old but I did not stop and check it out. Any clue ?

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
Mitch and I are heading that way tomorrow. There are 3 cemeterys in that area from what I have read. We were down that way a few weeks ago too looking around. Will have tro check out the Clark Landing RD. one too if I can find it. It's in that area?

Nykki

Barry would be the one to give you those directions. You'll park at the end of the road where the water is and then head off onto a trail that is on your left when you are facing the water. It's overgrown and probably very muddy right now with all of this rain. You'll cross one or two little foot bridges. The path goes through a lot of Phragmites australis and is sort of on a little island.

What other cemeteries were you/did you visit?

BTW, Barry, I found a recent location of another yellow fringed orchid almost by accident today-this one in the Pines, and a number of other interesting species as wel,some in areas we have visited out of season. I'll tell you more after I finish my algebra final and can breathe a bit.

Renee

B

BarryC

Okay. Here goes, for the second time. I lost my first response.
Nykki,
From Wading River to New Gretna, along and near 542, there are several cemeteries. In Wading River, turn down Turtle Creek Road, then bare left at a fork. In there, there is a cemetery on private property that I have not visited yet. Then there is the previously mentioned Adams-Leek-McKeen Cemetery behind the big white house near the Wading River Bridge. Then further down 542, before you get to New Gretna, there is one known as the French Cemetery, named after a family called French. Then in New Gretna there is a small cemetery in front of Cramer's Junkyard. Also, before you you get to the junkyard, on a side-road, there is another one that's called Hillside Cemetery.
Now for the other side of the Mullica- On the edge of Port Republic, at the corner of 575 (Pomona Road) and alt. 561 (Moss Mill Road) there is a small cemetery with all graves of black Civil War veterans. It says NJ Colored Troups and U.S. Colored Troups on their tombstones. Further east on alt. 561, past Pitney Road but before you get to Smithville, there is a small cemetery on the right with a chain-link fence around it. I assume that's because the surrounding woods is being bulldozed for housing.

On Indian Cabin Road in Port Republic (you have to get to it from Pomona Road, because it's east of the Parkway) there is a cemetery at the site of the Clark's Mill Meeting House, which is a church that blew down in a windstorm way back in 1820.

The Clark Graves are on an island in the marshes along the Mullica River. You have to get on 624 (Clark's Landing Road). Then go up a dirt road on the north side of 624 and follow it out almost to the dead-end at the Mullica. (This dirt road has an old overgrown trail-riding ranch next to it.) Just before the dirt road ends at the river there's what looks like a fork in the road. Bare left there and watch out for soft sand. Park there and walk to the left, following the river. There's a faint trail. Eventually the trail leads you through the tall reeds. At one point along the way, before that island the graves are on, you will have to walk over a small boardwalk. Watch out because near the end there is one board missing, unless it's been replaced. You go over one or two small islands in the reeds, and the graves are on another one that's bigger with lots of trees. The gravestones lay flat on the ground, to the right of the path.

Also, way out in Mullica Township on 561 there are a few graves in the woods at the northwest corner of 561 and a very short side road. On the other side of 561 from there, there is a black Jewish Synagogue called Adaht Beht Mosheh or something like that. You can't miss it. I think it's just west of a bend in the road.
There are others that I could tell you about, but I think I've already gotten carried away here. :D
Barry
bunnymom3 said:

Nykki

B

BarryC

Thanks! That's cool.
bach2yoga said:
BTW, Barry, I found a recent location of another yellow fringed orchid almost by accident today-this one in the Pines, and a number of other interesting species as wel,some in areas we have visited out of season. I'll tell you more after I finish my algebra final and can breathe a bit.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Okay. Here goes, for the second time. I lost my first response.
Nykki,
From Wading River to New Gretna, along and near 542, there are several cemeteries. In Wading River, turn down Turtle Creek Road, then bare left at a fork. In there, there is a cemetery on private property that I have not visited yet. Then there is the previously mentioned Adams-Leek-McKeen Cemetery behind the big white house near the Wading River Bridge. Then further down 542, before you get to New Gretna, there is one known as the French Cemetery, named after a family called French. Then in New Gretna there is a small cemetery in front of Cramer's Junkyard. Also, before you you get to the junkyard, on a side-road, there is another one that's called Hillside Cemetery.
Now for the other side of the Mullica- On the edge of Port Republic, at the corner of 575 (Pomona Road) and alt. 561 (Moss Mill Road) there is a small cemetery with all graves of black Civil War veterans. It says NJ Colored Troups and U.S. Colored Troups on their tombstones. Further east on alt. 561, past Pitney Road but before you get to Smithville, there is a small cemetery on the right with a chain-link fence around it. I assume that's because the surrounding woods is being bulldozed for housing.

On Indian Cabin Road in Port Republic (you have to get to it from Pomona Road, because it's east of the Parkway) there is a cemetery at the site of the Clark's Mill Meeting House, which is a church that blew down in a windstorm way back in 1820.

The Clark Graves are on an island in the marshes along the Mullica River. You have to get on 624 (Clark's Landing Road). Then go up a dirt road on the north side of 624 and follow it out almost to the dead-end at the Mullica. (This dirt road has an old overgrown trail-riding ranch next to it.) Just before the dirt road ends at the river there's what looks like a fork in the road. Bare left there and watch out for soft sand. Park there and walk to the left, following the river. There's a faint trail. Eventually the trail leads you through the tall reeds. At one point along the way, before that island the graves are on, you will have to walk over a small boardwalk. Watch out because near the end there is one board missing, unless it's been replaced. You go over one or two small islands in the reeds, and the graves are on another one that's bigger with lots of trees. The gravestones lay flat on the ground, to the right of the path.

Also, way out in Mullica Township on 561 there are a few graves in the woods at the northwest corner of 561 and a very short side road. On the other side of 561 from there, there is a black Jewish Synagogue called Adaht Beht Mosheh or something like that. You can't miss it. I think it's just west of a bend in the road.
There are others that I could tell you about, but I think I've already gotten carried away here. :D
Barry
bunnymom3 said:

Nykki

Wow, that's a lot of cemeteries!

I really love cemeteries, they tell such stories of the past...

I wish we could find the one on Turtle Creek Road, and also the one we looked for down near Port Elizabeth, that we looked for before.

I'd also like to visit the one we started to head into on Sunday, and the Swedish "Boneyard" cemetery as well.

The first couple you mentioned I am not familiar with and would like to visit. Some of them you've taken me to, and I put some pics of the one across the street from the synagogue in my album a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't know the name of it. Do you the name?

Renee

B

BarryC

The one near the synagogue does not have a name, that I'm aware of.
The one on Turtle Creek Road is actually not on Turtle Creek Road. When you bare left at the fork it's called Cedar Lane. The cemetery is a family one and is called Taylor Cemetery according to Heart of the Pines. Your family and I attempted to go there once.
Barry
bach2yoga said:
Wow, that's a lot of cemeteries!

I really love cemeteries, they tell such stories of the past...

I wish we could find the one on Turtle Creek Road, and also the one we looked for down near Port Elizabeth, that we looked for before.

I'd also like to visit the one we started to head into on Sunday, and the Swedish "Boneyard" cemetery as well.

The first couple you mentioned I am not familiar with and would like to visit. Some of them you've taken me to, and I put some pics of the one across the street from the synagogue in my album a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't know the name of it. Do you the name?

Renee

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Right Barry when we got there the other day there were signs posted everywhere. Right on the road. If you go past the signs the road forks and we didn't go any farther because of the signs. Thats the last one in that area I would love to visit. We stopped at Cramer's Junkyard and talked a bit with them. Mitch needed a door for his truck and we were very lucky in finding one there and got to talk to several people. As for the The Clark Graves we tried several trails that lead us to muck and more muck. Got to get back up there and visit again.

Barry leaving there we saw something in the water that looked like a dam or something. Any clue what this was. I can look in my pictures and see if I got one on my digital cam if you want.

Nykki