Lehigh Valley

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yesterday I climbed up to Glen Onoka Falls up in Jim Thorpe PA. It was a gray day, but exhilirating hiking in the snow. If these show up too large I'll get busy rescaling them.

Baron Von Frankensteins Bridge.

BRIDGEL.JPG

Lehigh River

LEHIGHL.JPG

Ice climbers at the first falls.

CLIMBERL.JPG

Icefall further up.

ICEFALLL.JPG

Behind the fall. A guy said he sometimes walks behind it. Not me. I heard a huge slumping sound and about a ton of ice fell down while I was in the area.

BEHINDFALLL.JPG

Top of main fall looking south.

TOPL.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Really nice Bob. I especially like the second from last.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Coolsville!

But you should have went back to the Adirondacks and visited the bar where, after hiking, you watched the Phils mow down LA in the NLCS. Now I know why the Iggles went down. :)

I'd love to visit some ice-falls in the winter. There's one in the 'gunks in NY state that calls out to me most.

Great shots, Mr. PBX.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Coolsville!

But you should have went back to the Adirondacks and visited the bar where, after hiking, you watched the Phils mow down LA in the NLCS. Now I know why the Iggles went down. :)

I'd love to visit some ice-falls in the winter. There's one in the 'gunks in NY state that calls out to me most.

Great shots, Mr. PBX.

AAAHHHGGGH! Sports talk! I hate it!...one more home run and the iggles woulda had it!:)

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
I agree, second from last photo is great! My maternal grandfather came from there, Mauch Chunk then, of course. Very interesting area. All the roads in the area come down into town, just like a funnel.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Very nice! That ice climbing looks like pretty extreme stuff. And I thought I was nuts when I used to ice fish! I love the pine barrens but the stomping grounds of my youth were in NW Jersey. Pics like this always make me feel homesick.

Oct 25, 2006
Great pics Bob, i pass through Jim Thorpe every time i go to the Poconos. Did you drive up to the lookout at Flagstaff Mountain ?

Jim

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Jim, I did not go up there to the lookout. I drove my car up to the Lehigh Valley versus the truck. Once I got up there I became like a scared rabbit going up snow-covered hills. I was not used to it, and was leery of straying off the route I chose.

I plan to go back again to savor it in the warm season.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I lived in the Lehigh valley for nine months and it is a very Beautiful Area, About 1/2 hour south of Cabelas On 78. I loved it up there Just no money to be made, Good thing ,My roots are in the pines and they were stretched way to far LOL!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
http://www.hawkmountain.org/

Bob

Here is another interesting place to visit in East-Central Pa., my father would take the family at least twice a year to this place many moons ago.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kempt...it=0&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title

The above is a map of Kempton, Pa., Hawk Mountain is to the West.

Jim

Thanks for that link Jim. I always wondered where that was, and plan to visit. Maybe this year. By the way, I love the simplicity of that website they created. All websites should be like that. No nonsense, easy navigation, and everything you need to know close at hand.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Nice Pics. My buddy lives down the road from there. Last time we went there was a dead deer on the bottom of the one cliff.. must have slipped on the ice or had a bad day at work. The bridge is great for jumping off in summer and the trout fishing can be productive if they're not messing with the water flow for the rafters. Looks like a chilly day.