Lesser-known ghost towns

B

BarryC

Just thought I'd mention a few lesser-known ghost towns here. I can come back and talk about some of them at a later time.
Atlantic County:
1) Amatol (WW I artillery shell-loading) Haven't found any remains yet. In the late 1920 there was a board race track there too.
2) Belcoville, AKA Bethlehem Loading Company (WW I artillery shell-loading). Many foundations and ruins.
3) Estellville- paper making. Paper mill ruins, Methodist Church and cemetery, manor house, store, etc. Near Belcoville.
4) Stephens Creek- unknown. No remains found. Near Estellville.
5) Pleasant Mills- paper making. Paper mill ruins along roadside, Catholic Cemetery (church is gone). People still live in area. Borders on Batsto.
6) Gloucester Furnace- bog iron making. No remains, but site is interesting.
7) Etna Furnace, Head-of-the-River-- bog iron making. No remains found yet. Exact site not found yet. Methodist church and large cemetery.
8 ) Weymouth Furnace or Weymouth- bog iron making, and then paper later on. 2 sets of paper mill ruins, other house sites not found yet, Methodist Church and cemetery with several bog iron gravemarkers. People live in area.

Cumberland County:
1) Cumberland Furnace, aka Budd's Ironworks- bog iron making. No remains found, but there is a Methodist Church with 25 or so bog iron gravemarkers in its cemetery.

All these places can be included in various future outings. If anyone knows of other such places here in Atlantic County or Cumberland County, post them here. These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Barry

B

BarryC

bruset said:
Isn't Etna out by Marlton?
Actually that's the other Etna Furnace, which I don't know much about. This one is down at the southern border of Atlantic County.

B

bach2yoga

Ben,
The photocopy of that old map I gave you at a previous outing was of the Etna Furnace Barry is talking about. It's somewhere in Peasley's WMA, near Head of the River. Nearest I can figure off of First Avenue. Went out again Monday morning, but the rain was a little too much, so I'll have to head back at another time. There is a length of blockwork on one side, but I'm not sure what it is...

Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The other Etna furnace was in Medford Lakes.

Guy

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
aetna furnace

aetna furnace... i have been to the site and (even though i asked a local on the side of the road for final directions to the site), i pretty much found this myself... there is not much there anymore but some big trees, a trail/clearing, and mounds of earth with brick fragments all around.

directions: take rt 50 til you get to a light and turn right onto elleventh ave towards dorothy. at the end of this road (past railroad tracks), turn left onto cape may ave (rt 666), follow this road to the end which will be a stop sign (turn at the first stop sign, do NOT continue straight to the other stop sign) and turn left (not sure of road name). continue ahead less than a mile up the road until you reach a guardrail on the right side of the road. you will see a break in the guardrail. park your car here and walk the trail. you will find the mounds of earth to the right in the clearing at the end of the trail.

-Ben

phatone74@aol.com