Light Day In The Barrens

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Drove around today looking for various things, and along the way here is what we found. I am quite certain this is a very good start for a Turks Cap Lilly. There are even two others right near it but slightly smaller. If you are a hiker of the Batona Trail and are doing so in the middle or late July, and early August as well, you may see this Lilly in bloom if everyone leaves it and the others alone.

IMG_1704a.jpg

IMG_1749a.jpg

We walked to Jemima Mount and the place is doing well. The trees are growing quite well in the road.

IMG_1753a.jpg

Someone has tried to open the gate.

IMG_1763a.jpg

Then we found a swimming pool ladder and a grandfather clock. You don't see those two items in the pines much.

IMG_1710a.jpg

IMG_0524a.jpg

Speaking of swimming pool ladders .....I now have a private place to go after a hot day in the pines. This is my rarely seen wife enjoying the cool water.

IMG_1714a.jpg

Two feet above our heads while there relaxing in a chair, a mother robin struggled dealing with our presence. She flew in and out a hundred times.

IMG_0527a.jpg

For your listening pleasure, a very short clip of my grandfather clock masterpiece.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I never really noticed this before - maybe it's new or maybe it depends on whether or not I have recently signed into Google? But after watching Guy's video, a couple other small videos are displayed in the space where the original used to be. Evidently Google thinks I would be interested in these. But the result is that Guy's post now includes something he didn't put there. :confused:

clocks.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So we go to the pool today and my daughter says there is a skunk dead in the yard. So the 4 of us walk over to look at it and while standing right over it the skunk raises it's head and looked at us. Needless to say we ran. When we all stopped laughing it was still there laying flat on the ground with flies flying all around. We left for more than an hour and when we returned, minus my wife who wanted no parts of it, it was breathing slow and appeared to be about dead which we expected it to be. For a half hour we kept watch on it and the skunk would try and crawl and also flip over, but appeared to have difficulty doing this.

IMG_1716a.jpg

IMG_1717a.jpg

So we planned ahead and my daughter dug a hole for it's eventual resting place.

IMG_1718a.jpg

My daughter just checked on the skunk and it is gone. I guess the hole will not be needed.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My daughter just checked on the skunk and it is gone. I guess the hole will not be needed.

Perhaps it accidently gassed itself :rolleyes:

They do carry rabies, and as they are nocturnal, seeing one during the day is not normal behavior.

Most skunks will leave you alone if you leave it alone. They are not confrontational animals if they are free from rabies or other problems. If you encounter a skunk on your property, back away silently and slowly. Do not run or yell and scream. Loud commotions and skunks do not mix well!

With all of that said, here are some signs of rabid skunk behavior to watch out for:

1. A skunk that is aggressive and shows no fear of humans or dogs may be a carrier. If a skunk keeps coming at you without fear, it is a very common sign that the skunk is rabid. Under normal circumstances, a skunk should be afraid of humans.
  2. If the skunk is drooling excessively or foaming at the mouth, it could possibly be a sign.
  3. Sometimes a rabid animal will attack inanimate objects. It will be completely confused and aggressive.
  4. Does the skunk look drunk? Is it walking funny, stumbling, and staggering? This may be a sign of a rabid animal.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
With the help of a member of law enforcement the skunk has expired. It returned this evening and almost went into the pool numerous. times. It wandered around aimlessly so we made the call. It now resides at the location in the photo above. I came home and washed my clothes and also sprayed my car to eliminate the smell.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I recently saw a guy in a Ford Explorer, pulling a trailer full of what looked like trash, get pulled over at the intersection of Stokes and Hampton roads. I don't know what he was up to, or how the traffic stop played out, but it did look like he was on his way into the woods to dump some trash. It's a little weird to be pulling a landscaping trailer full of junk through Wharton on dirt roads. I personally haven't run into too much illegal dumping, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I'm always surprised at the lack of trash! Then again I live next to Camden..

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So we visited the Turks Cap Lilly again today (with my wife also) that I mentioned in a post above from last year, and it is growing very well so far. Hopefully nothing will eat it or hikers on the Batona Trail will not damage it and we will see a nice plant this year.

Today, waist high. There are about 8 of them in that location.

IMG_2955a.jpg