Lighthouse Challenge of New Jersey

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The New Jersey Lighthouses and select museums are eager to announce they will again be hosting a “Lighthouse Challenge of New Jersey” weekend on October 20th & 21st, 2012.Visitors will enjoy the opportunity to tour the state and visit each lighthouse over the weekend, and help raise needed funds for continued lighthouse preservation.

These majestic beacons have played an importantrole in New Jersey's history, guarding mariners and protecting our coasts for over a century. Lighthouses serve as a reminder of American ingenuity while honoring the values of safety and heroism. Visit the lighthouses and museums on the Challenge for an opportunity to step back in time and learn more about our state and country's history.

Hours of operation for each lighthouse can be found on lighthouse and museum websites listed below, and at www.lighthousechallengenj.org, www.njlhs.org and www.visitnj.org. Night climbs will be offered as well atAbsecon, Cape May, Sandy Hook, Tinicum, Tuckerton.

The lighthouses encourage the public to take advantage of this special weekend to financially support and preserve the maritime history of our state as we face the same economic challenges as other sectors of commerce.

Following is a list of all of the participating lighthouses and museums:

Absecon
Barnegat
Barnegat Light Historical Museum
Cape May
Cape May County Museum
East Point
Finns Point
Hereford Inlet
Navesink/Twin Lights
US Life Saving Station
Sandy Hook
Sea Girt
Tatham Life Saving Station
Tinicum
Tuckerton Seaport

http://www.lighthousechallengenj.org/2012LHCNJ/Main.html

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I wonder if it is possible to visit each and every one of the lighthouses in a weekend. Sandy Hook to Cape May, plus all of the ins and outs, sounds like a challenge. Hmmmm... a cooler full of sammies and frosties and a few friends packed into a vehicle could make for a great road trip.

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
It definitely is possible. My in-laws did it a few years back and has their "passport" to show for it. Pretty cool. See I'm a dork and like this stuff, but can't find anyone to do this stuff with me. Haha. They have a different version of fun.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder if it is possible to visit each and every one of the lighthouses in a weekend. Sandy Hook to Cape May, plus all of the ins and outs, sounds like a challenge. Hmmmm... a cooler full of sammies and frosties and a few friends packed into a vehicle could make for a great road trip.

It is possible to visit them all in a weekend; we have done it, but not during this event. A lot depends on where your coming from. We are about mid-way, so it was easy. Favorite's are the views from Twin Lights and the top of Cape May Point and Barnegat.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks PW and 46er. My only option for a starting point would be to drive to the end of I95 and then turn north or south. One day for each "half". If all conditions are perfect, could the challenge be completed in one day with several drivers?:clint:

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Depends how late they stay open. I have heard people have. I've been devising it out for months actually. I would hit Tinnicum and East Point first. Then Cape May points and head up GSP parkway and hit the lighthouses that way then the Twin Lights last. I have heard it is gorgeous and can see Manhattan skyline. If you start out early enough, probably could.

I am on my phone now. I actually have a map, lol. I'm not sure if the Twin Lights is most northern one. So correct me if I'm wrong. I'll take a look at my map tomorrow.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks PW and 46er. My only option for a starting point would be to drive to the end of I95 and then turn north or south. One day for each "half". If all conditions are perfect, could the challenge be completed in one day with several drivers?:clint:

You might reconsider and not head to the end of I95, unless thats a typo and you mean I195 and hit those from Twin Light to Barnegat. I would head out 539 to get those from Barnegat south. I know folks that have done it in one day, but I don't think it would be much fun.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
You might reconsider and not head to the end of I95, unless thats a typo and you mean I195 and hit those from Twin Light to Barnegat. I would head out 539 to get those from Barnegat south. I know folks that have done it in one day, but I don't think it would be much fun.

I'm glad that you know what I mean as a starting point - Belmar via I195 and then RT 36 up the coast towards the City. Barnegat or Tuckerton would be the first stop heading south down the coast because I would hit RT72 first. Any travel plans for this weekend depends on the weather tomorrow. Saturday may be a full work day because of the rain that may fall in the morning.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I wonder if it is possible to visit each and every one of the lighthouses in a weekend.

The kids and I have completed the NJ Challenge 4 times and are going for 5 this year. We have also done the Md Challenge twice and the Long Island (NY) Challenge once. It is possible to visit all the stops in 2 days, but climbing all would be the real challenge! You should pick and choose which ones to climb.

In recent years, they have added life saving stations to the Challenge along with the existing light stations, which also adds significant time to the adventure. Add in meals and gas stops, and you're looking at a couple of full days.

If all conditions are perfect, could the challenge be completed in one day with several drivers?

I've thought of doing this, maybe on the motorcycle, stopping at each for 5 mins or so; just to get your souvenir. But like 46er said, "...I don't think it would be much fun." Kinda defeats the purpose of visiting them and enjoying their splendor and history. To any who take the Challenge... enjoy your weekend.

John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We have also done the Md Challenge twice and the Long Island (NY) Challenge once.

I didn't know those states had such a thing, gotta look into them.

Have you ever been to Maine? In '08 and again in '10 we made the trip. Even found one in Cutler, Little River Light on an island you can stay in.

A map of them for just the central coast around Freeport and Mt Desert Island.

146800000.jpg

Some of my pictures at the links, other scenic stuff mixed in.

http://www.pbase.com/46er/acadia_and_points_north

http://www.pbase.com/46er/maine__2010

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Unfortunately won't get to do it this year. I hope next year :( However, this is similar to the map I was talking about that I have. I live about 15 minutes from Tinnicum so the route I said above would make the most sense to me.

image.jpg

Of course some of these stops aren't in 2012's race, but gives you an idea.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
What a great weekend for the Challenge. Or to be outside doing anything! We made all 15 stops and even had time to visit/ climb Lucy in Margate. It was well attended from the info I gathered at various stops and the amount of people we saw.

Here is a photo my son took my personal favorite.
East Point.JPG

I didn't know those states had such a thing, gotta look into them.

Have you ever been to Maine? In '08 and again in '10 we made the trip.

46er, NY held their's in May, but discontinued it after '09 due to lack of volunteers, or so I was told. Md postponed their Challenge this past Sept, but they're planning on hosting one in 2013.

I've been to Maine only once a few years back, around the Bath area. I saw the Kennebec River Lights and visited Portland Head and the Bug Light on the way home. There are so many to see there, I was thinking some sort of extended RV trip after retirement. :)

John-

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
John,

I'm happy you enjoyed this with the family. It is most definitely something I will do next year. I love the photo of the East Point Lighthouse.

Thank you for sharing with everyone.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
What a great weekend for the Challenge. Or to be outside doing anything! We made all 15 stops and even had time to visit/ climb Lucy in Margate. It was well attended from the info I gathered at various stops and the amount of people we saw.

Here is a photo my son took my personal favorite.
View attachment 2826

46er, NY held their's in May, but discontinued it after '09 due to lack of volunteers, or so I was told. Md postponed their Challenge this past Sept, but they're planning on hosting one in 2013.

I've been to Maine only once a few years back, around the Bath area. I saw the Kennebec River Lights and visited Portland Head and the Bug Light on the way home. There are so many to see there, I was thinking some sort of extended RV trip after retirement. :)

John-
15 mintes from my house:D

Have you ever been to Maine? In '08 and again in '10 we made the trip. Even found one in Cutler, Little River Light on an island you can stay in.

Outstanding photos, 46er! If you got to Machias Seal Island, that's really hard core, congratulations! I've always wanted to go there. Isn't that still the still-disputed boundary between US and Canada?

My wife, daughter, and I did the 2009 "Light Across the Border" Lighthouse Challenge, which involved 2 Canadian lighthouses and 3 USA. Little River Light was the best one, they had organized private lobster boats to get everybody out to the island, which is a beautiful setting. Didn't know you could stay overnight!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Outstanding photos, 46er! If you got to Machias Seal Island, that's really hard core, congratulations! I've always wanted to go there. Isn't that still the still-disputed boundary between US and Canada?

My wife, daughter, and I did the 2009 "Light Across the Border" Lighthouse Challenge, which involved 2 Canadian lighthouses and 3 USA. Little River Light was the best one, they had organized private lobster boats to get everybody out to the island, which is a beautiful setting. Didn't know you could stay overnight!

Yes, still disputed. In fact the dispute held up the landing permit process this year. Really hurt the boats from the US that make the trip. If you do get a chance to make the trip, I would recommend Capt Andy Patterson of Bold Coast Charters, web site below. A nice short ride to the island. I had info on staying at Little River Light, will try to dig it up, but it would make a pizza run very difficult :D

http://www.boldcoast.com/