Litter and Trash at East Creek Lake. Grrrrr....

KDOG

Oct 6, 2013
Dennis Township NJ
Was by there the other day and was just livid by all the trash just thrown around at the launch area. Maddening. Beer cans, the cartons, liqour bottles thrown all over. I may go out there tomorrow and pick up as much as I can depending on the weather. But I'd really like to catch these morons who do that. Who would I have to contact to try to do something about it?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Was by there the other day and was just livid by all the trash just thrown around at the launch area. Maddening. Beer cans, the cartons, liqour bottles thrown all over. I may go out there tomorrow and pick up as much as I can depending on the weather. But I'd really like to catch these morons who do that. Who would I have to contact to try to do something about it?

Belleplain State Forest. (609) 861-2404
East Creek is part of Belleplain.

Unfortunately, the State's policy of Pack in/Pack out in these high use areas amounts to Pack in/Throw shit on ground.

Reactions: Boyd

KDOG

Oct 6, 2013
Dennis Township NJ
Just got back from there. Got two full bags of junk mainly bottles. Accidentally pulled someones dead dog out of the ground....ewwww. Gonna have to call the Belleplain office about that. Its just insane how people can just throw that much stuff all around like that.

Now I gotta figure out what to do with all the bottles and trash I picked up!

KDOG

Oct 6, 2013
Dennis Township NJ
Well I called them and made arrangements for the trash. I noticed so much more than the amount I was able to pick up. All the way down to the other entrance of the trail as well as the other side of the street. Gonna take at least 5 more bags. And I haven't even started on Ponds Trail and Pickle Factory Pond yet.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Unfortunately, that's how pine barrens "occasional" visitors treat the area. Then people like us pick it up. Thanks for your efforts, KDOG.
Greg

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I fish East Creek a lot in the warmer months and I have to say that with rare exception the fisherman who use that lake are good people who keep it clean and release the largemouth bass they catch. I don't see a bunch cans, bottles and papers sitting on the bottom in the shallow areas of East Creek like I do in some of the other NJ lakes I fish.

East Creek is on a major feeder road to Avalon, Wildwood and Cape May and what happens is that some people pull into the parking area on their way back home and toss the trash in their car on the ground. I have seen that happen.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I fish East Creek a lot in the warmer months and I have to say that with rare exception the fisherman who use that lake are good people who keep it clean and release the largemouth bass they catch. I don't see a bunch cans, bottles and papers sitting on the bottom in the shallow areas of East Creek like I do in some of the other NJ lakes I fish.

East Creek is on a major feeder road to Avalon, Wildwood and Cape May and what happens is that some people pull into the parking area on their way back home and toss the trash in their car on the ground. I have seen that happen.

I agree with all of the above as I too fish there.
However, I still think Pack-in, Pack-out is at least part of the problem in all NJ State Park or Forest facilities.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I still think Pack-in, Pack-out is at least part of the problem in all NJ State Park or Forest facilities.

The jerks who throw trash on the ground is the whole problem. Lack of trash cans isn't part of the problem. But if trash cans were available, it might help lessen the impact of the problem.

KDOG

Oct 6, 2013
Dennis Township NJ
I'm emailing the superintendent of Belleplain as we speak. Gonna throw around ideas. I will suggest a snipers nest to pick em off but I doubt they'll go for that one lol.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
RednekF350, I agree that removing trash cans from state parks, etc., was a bad idea. Not having trash cans makes it more likely that people who are too lazy , too selfish and who don't care about trashing natural areas are going to throw their garbage on the ground.

Can somebody show me how to quote a post in my reply?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Ridiculous and awful. I saw a lot of the same stuff last year at Bass River SF. I understand the precaution of not wanting to leave trash cans around for the wildlife to get into, because that situation would be worse (even more trash strewn about and human-food habitated animals to boot). That being said, it's incredibly frustrating when people can't see the beauty and value of a natural area enough to at least pick up their trash, nevermind that it's basic manners to clean up after yourself. I don't know what the answer is, except to educate people (one way or the other).

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
RednekF350, I agree that removing trash cans from state parks, etc., was a bad idea. Not having trash cans makes it more likely that people who are too lazy , too selfish and who don't care about trashing natural areas are going to throw their garbage on the ground.

Can somebody show me how to quote a post in my reply?

If you look on the right hand side of the box that their quote is in, and hit 'reply', it should come up.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
There are certain individuals who will always throw there garbage on the ground whether there are trash cans or not. I don't get upset anymore when I see it. I just pick it up and put it in a bag.

I wonder sometimes if others get the wrong idea that I am the problem when I leave full garbage bags roadside or at the ranger's offices.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
Old Crazy is right. When the shore traffic backs up in the summer the shoobies stop there and relieve themselves. Be careful if you decide to pick up trash there in the summer!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
NJChileHead, thank you. I haven't quoted a post in a while and I thought hitting "Reply" was how you do it, but it's not working for me. If my memory serves me correctly, the HTML tags to quote a post on this BB are so I'll give that a try next time.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
c1nj said:
Old Crazy is right. When the shore traffic backs up in the summer the shoobies stop there and relieve themselves. Be careful if you decide to pick up trash there in the summer!

Oh God, you mean that stuff on my shoes wasn't from the geese? :eek:

Oh well...at least the shoobie season ends on September 1 this year.