Livin in the Pines

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was thinking about where I would live in the pines if I had my choice. I have three I would consider;

1.) Bamber Lake.

Duh, sure I picked there, I live there. Really though, I am fortunate enough to live in a spot that has all that I want. I did not totally plan it that way, I was racing down Lacey Road in my mid-20's looking for a place in the pines and I saw a "for sale" sign. The rest is history, and I love it. I have the Forked River Mountains and Greenwood Forest as my back door. And for water exploring, I have Cedar Creek and all its lovely tributaries.

2.) Warren Grove.

I looked at a home there one time on Pancoast Road (in 1981) owned by an English couple who had decided to return to England. They wanted $40,000 for an older house on one acre. The reason I liked it was the Oswego River headwaters, and the pine plains. I thought I could do better on the value, so I passed it up. I'm glad I did, for Bamber, but I do like the quiet and woods around Warren Grove a lot, and I would move there if they told me to get the hell out of Bamber.

3.) Tuckerton (outer limits).

This is almost a tie with Whiting. Too much grey haired traffic in Whiting though. It is often the butt of jokes cause of its piney sounding name, but its proximity to the pine plains and stage road (Bass River, New Gretna, etc) are a plus for me. Plus, it sees like a nice, slow-paced town. Unfortunately, I think Tuckerton is going to explode with growth in the near future. Trivia; Tuckerton was a port of entry for immigrants at one period in its history.

How about you? Where would you live, and why?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I live near Mt. Misery and, despite the name I'm far from miserable living here. I like it because I'm somewhat centered between the eastern and western sides of the woods. When I used to live in Medford I remember riding out to the forked river mountains and then fighting daylight once I was there (riding through the woods of course, the highways make it too easy and you miss so much). I almost bought a house in Nesco, near hammonton once. Given the option:
1) I would think New Gretna or Bass river would be a nice town to live in.
2)There is a cluster of houses near city line rd. in Byrne s.f. near the old tracks...nice and secluded.
3)There are a few houses on Moores Meadow rd. which are nice and secluded and well, also in the same area, the old white horse rd.

I once put a deposit down on 5 acres in Chatsworth near Jones Mill rd. Unfortunitly I got cold feet and backed out (would have had to build my own house). In hindsight I wish I went for it.

The more secluded the better in my opinion, but the problem of the commute to work has always been a major factor.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jeff, that reminds me. I was offered 4 acres in Chatsworth just off Panama Road for $11,000 in 1978 or so. It was offered by a member of the Wills family I met in a bar. I really screwed up on that one, because that road became very busy later...........bob

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Good topic, this is something I also ponder. Two and a half years ago I got this place with 3.2 wooded acres in Medford and really like it. Unfortunately, the developers are now destroying the adjacent lot so I've been thinking about moving further out.

Problem is, I just haven't found "the" place yet. I do like the convenience of civilization which Medford offers, while still being close enough to the pines. And from an investment standpoint I think I got a great deal, where my land alone is worth what I paid for the whole place including the house.

I have a place with 56 acres of beautiful woods in upstate NY near Lake Ontario. It's really far away from everything, so you end up driving awhile for the necessities and that gets a little old after awhile. Now I need to sell that place since I never go there anymore. So for the time being I'm staying put in Medford... until someplace else beckons to me. Realtor.com is a great place for daydreaming BTW :)

I know this is probably heresy around here, but I can't help but think that if I want to move again then I owe it to myself to broaden my horizons a little further and not limit myself to the pines, to New Jersey, to the East Coast... to the United States! Will just have to wait and see which direction my path leads as I wander along....

strom

Scout
Apr 24, 2004
barnegat. nj
hi folks,
yep,living in the pines is nice..........been living off the pancoastal for some years now........still have to walk that sand road out to seventy two.......but all the trash and building debris from hovanian has ruined the road.........got caught by old man horners crew one day.........nice fellas though.........i suspect as long as youre not on a atv or cycle,they wont shoot you like they did that young fella some time ago.........rumor is that some builder has bought horners land and will no doubt build a lot of old folks homes there too...........shame, there aint no more room to roam in........used to like hiking the rr tracks from chatsworth to atsion road but the doggone trees have grown so in thirty years,i cant make it no more..........met a couple of older hikers from mirage.......nice enough, city slickers though,ignorant as hell in the woods.........wanted to know how to get to wells mills park...........hell,i told em take any trail north from the pancoastal and keep in a northeasterly direction...........press on you young fellas..strom johannson