Coastal NJ
111152792.jpg

Reactions: jburd641

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
any relation 46er? My gr gr gr grandad was Samuel Miller from the 24th NJ reg.Buried in Broad st cemetery Bridgeton.It's a wonder it made it back.He only did nine months in a nine month enlistment but he charged the stone wall at Marye's heights and not many made it back from there.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
any relation 46er? My gr gr gr grandad was Samuel Miller from the 24th NJ reg.Buried in Broad st cemetery Bridgeton.It's a wonder it made it back.He only did nine months in a nine month enlistment but he charged the stone wall at Marye's heights and not many made it back from there.

No, we don't go back that far in this country. I did trace the name and found some info for it, I'll try to dig it up, no pun intended. I have traced my Father's family back to the mid-1600's in Norway. One of the most complicated searches I have ever done.

That soul is in Reevestown Cemetery.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I do Geneaology and am into the Civil War so this is right up my alley.My Dad is from here and his side all fought as Yanks.Moms dad was from WV and they fough for the Union as well but Moms Moms side are from Kentucky and they were Rebs in a county that was equally split between Union and Cnfederate sympathies.The families were all interrelated and fighting each other.In that area of KY it was mostly (the war) an excuse to even up old scores.Not much real loyalty either way,just a cover for revenge fueds.I"m also third cousin three times removed to Levicey Chaffin Devil Anse Hatfields wife.Hatfields were Union I believe but Chaffins were Rebs.

Reactions: jburd641

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
I do Geneaology and am into the Civil War so this is right up my alley.My Dad is from here and his side all fought as Yanks.Moms dad was from WV and they fough for the Union as well but Moms Moms side are from Kentucky and they were Rebs in a county that was equally split between Union and Cnfederate sympathies.The families were all interrelated and fighting each other.In that area of KY it was mostly (the war) an excuse to even up old scores.Not much real loyalty either way,just a cover for revenge fueds.I"m also third cousin three times removed to Levicey Chaffin Devil Anse Hatfields wife.Hatfields were Union I believe but Chaffins were Rebs.
I believe the television series depicted both the Hatfields and McCoys as being Confederate. I may be wrong, especially when my source is TV.

Reactions: manumuskin

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Marye's Heights was a popular place to get killed. Seems we both had relatives fighting there. My Gr. Gr. Grandfather fought at Marye's Heights. Co. H, 98th Pa Volunteers, Sickles Sixth Corp. Did a three year stint, practically right off the boat from Germany. Arrived 1860 in Germantown, signed up and saw most major battles until his enlistment was up in 1864. From the list of battles, he must have been about sick of war by then. Eventually moved to Camden and opened a bar. Has a Government issued headstone in New Camden Cemetery. Love this stuff

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They probably both were,I know everyone in my family from KY were rebs. They were in two predominantly Union counties (Lawrence and Carter) but Johnson county right next door was a reb stronghold.They mostly seem to have joined their respective sides as a legalized way of reeking vengeance on family and other who had wronged them before the war that had joined the other side.Actually instances in my family of intermarried families betraying one another o the other side.My third gr grandad was apparently murdered in one of these instances at the very end of the war in April 65.he was never found but rumors of what happened surfaced later.A revenge murder by a son of a man my garndad either killed or at least was involved in killing.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
They probably both were,I know everyone in my family from KY were rebs. They were in two predominantly Union counties (Lawrence and Carter) but Johnson county right next door was a reb stronghold.They mostly seem to have joined their respective sides as a legalized way of reeking vengeance on family and other who had wronged them before the war that had joined the other side.Actually instances in my family of intermarried families betraying one another o the other side.My third gr grandad was apparently murdered in one of these instances at the very end of the war in April 65.he was never found but rumors of what happened surfaced later.A revenge murder by a son of a man my garndad either killed or at least was involved in killing.
Really great that you have such detailed history going back so far. I did find my G-G-grandfather's name on the Pennsylvania monument at Gettysburg. I also recieved his pay records from the National Archives. Seems he was docked a month's pay after a court martial.
the sad thing is, I found more on a CW relative than one who fought and died in WWII. Seems there was a fire in St. Louis that destroyed many records. Nothing better than family for info though...just need to check the stories if possible.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I happened on a few family geneaologists and got lucky.Nice thing about genealogists is they work hard to gather info and all are willing to give the new guy on the block everything they have worked so hard for so in return anyone that finds me I give them what i have.One great resource that definitely is not in the giving away business is Ancestry.com.The Mormons want an arm and a leg for your family info that they are trying very hard to monopolize.