Looking for someone..

Jpot

Jan 21, 2014
Does anyone know if Bill Wasovwich is still living and if so where he lives? I am local and recently read the book The Pine Barrens and have been completely intrigued with Bill, his lifestyle and everything that goes along with him and living in the pines. I have spent a lot of time myself in the woods with my horse and dogs and would love an opportunity to speak to Bill first hand about the woods and hear about things I may not know about.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Bill is a very shy person and while I have always found him gracious to visitors he does not particularly relish the notoriety that McPhee's book has given him. By way of friendly advice I would suggest respecting his privacy.

Jpot

Jan 21, 2014
Ok I understand completely I have met many wonderful people in my travels out in the woods and enjoy speaking to them but mostly listening to them. I recall a time when my horse spooked and I was stuck out in the woods and found by some hunters and listened to some great stories while waiting for help. I enjoy and feel like there is so much to learn from not speaking but listening to our elders. Bill was just someone along with many other who I would assume have seen many things in their lifetime.

Jpot

Jan 21, 2014
I hope I didn't upset you GermanG or anyone else with my curiosity.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

No problem, Jpot. I am sure your intentions are in the right place. Serveral of us know where he lives but, speaking for myself, I would feel funny about giving away his location without his consent. I don't know him personally, I see him sometimes but i have never approached him because I am aware of how much he values his privacy.

Reactions: Jpot

Jpot

Jan 21, 2014
Thank you, we all value privacy and I can understand. Was Bill aware that this book would be published, use his name and disclose how he lives and in what area?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor

Not at all. :) It never hurts to ask about such things. Treasured opportunities may be lost if you don't. I do not know Bill well. I have just met him a few times and am passing on my thoughts about him. Like Woodjin said, I would not feel comfortable giving out contact information without consent, especially given my impression of him. I can't answer your question regarding the book because we only discussed his recent activities when we spoke. It didn't feel appropriate to pry into the past at the time.

Reactions: Jpot

Jpot

Jan 21, 2014
Thanks GermanG I understand and I wouldn't feel right knowing how private he is asking about the book. I feel bad though since he is so private and would hate to know that his consent was not given. Oh well the way of the world I guess, just glad he is still living his life as he chooses and taking in the beauty of our wonderful pines. I'm sure he is living a life a few (a very few) of us would love and I'm one of them. ;) Gimme a horse, my dogs and the woods and I'm happy hehe.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
His life has not been as nice as you may think. He has his struggles.

Jpot

Jan 21, 2014
I'm sure he does as do we all..his may be different then many but nothing beats being out there, nothing compares.