Looking like something will be happening in Maine

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Baxters status has not changed. One of the maps shows it relation to the other lands around it. The monument is split into 2 parts.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I spent a summer working on Mt Desert Island and winter in Bangor back in my youth. I love it up there but not so crazy about the winter. ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My previous trips to Maine have been to Acadia

A favorite of ours, but it is becoming a tourist mecca. They voted to turn the old Nova Scotia ferry terminal into a cruise ship port, over 410 ships are scheduled to dock this year in Bar Harbor :worms: If you like Maine, head north along the Bold Coast to Lubec; a nice drive, no crowds, and everyone waves to you :D, but they make the worst clam chowdah up there I have ever tasted.

Quoddy Head SP cliff trail

101062437.jpg

101062449.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I downloaded the maps this time:) I was trying to click the pics last time and they wouldn't download.I actually had to click the words:) I see this is east of Baxter.I"ll have to read up on this area.I love Baxter but I only camped there once because they really work you over on camping fees once they find out your out of state.I didn't realize state parks did that till I camped at Baxter.Three times the fee a local would pay.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Baxter but I only camped there once because they really work you over on camping fees once they find out your out of state.I didn't realize state parks did that till I camped at Baxter.Three times the fee a local would pay.

Baxter is self-funded, so at least that park gets the moola. Not like NJ where it all goes into the general fund.

I"ll have to read up on this area.

I've been looking it over with GE; lots of logging been done there and still going on. Warnings about logging trucks on the roads. Have to pick the time of year carefully, I am thinking Sept/Oct to keep the blood suckers down.

Reactions: manumuskin

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
Better not wait to long, the current president is looking into reducing the size of or eliminating most, if not all of the national monuments of the last president.

A favorite of ours, but it is becoming a tourist mecca. They voted to turn the old Nova Scotia ferry terminal into a cruise ship port, over 410 ships are scheduled to dock this year in Bar Harbor :worms: If you like Maine, head north along the Bold Coast to Lubec; a nice drive, no crowds, and everyone waves to you :D, but they make the worst clam chowdah up there I have ever tasted.

Quoddy Head SP cliff trail

101062437.jpg

101062449.jpg
My friend went through Lubec last fall en route to the border crossing to St Andrews in Canada. She said the small town friendliness was as you described. I looked at doing a Canadien River cruise and was turned off by the whole mass tourist thing.

I spent a summer working on Mt Desert Island and winter in Bangor back in my youth. I love it up there but not so crazy about the winter. ;)

When were you on Mt Desert thru winter? I have no problem with winter snow, but that close to the water was there more ice/sleet? That sucks both walking and driving.

Maine roads
do give a clue, even in mid-summer: notice the turn arounds for snowploughs.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When were you on Mt Desert thru winter? I have no problem with winter snow, but that close to the water was there more ice/sleet? That sucks both walking and driving.

My son was very close to moving up there, to Bass Harbor. The snow isn't the issue, the heating oil prices are :eek:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When were you on Mt Desert thru winter?

Like I said... "in my youth"... and also said that I spent the winter in Bangor, not Mt. Desert Island. That was during 1974-75. I was working for a small theatre company that went broke during the winter and I ended up delivering pizzas. ;)

I also lived in Sterling, NY near the shore of Lake Ontario, worked in Oswego and Syracuse, for almost 20 years. The winters there are very difficult with heavy lake effect snow. I've had enough bad winters for a lifetime already, I really prefer our mild winters here in the Pines. But I think my daughter's school was only cancelled 4 or 5 times over the 8 years she attended in NY. They are well equipped to clear the bus routes.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Will the logging on this land cease? Or hasn't there been any on this site? I know the area north of Katahdin is a vast almost wilderness except that it looks like a logged out checkerboard on the aerials.Shut down the clear cutting and in 50 years you'll have a wilderness. And of course a few less jobs in Maine.Katahdin is a far north as I"ve been,always wanted to do the Allagash and Saint Johns but never made it.

I canoed the Allagash with my father when I was 9 years old. Amazing trip and I still remember parts of it clearly. One thing that I remember was the loons calling, which is an incredible, primeval sound when echoing across a lake and through a forest. Recordings don't do it justice. Another thing that I remember was one morning getting on the water early, and it was completely silent. We stopped paddling for a moment and there was no sound, no airplanes, cars, wildlife, no chatter in my head, nothing, as silent as a photo. Those things will stay with me forever.

Definitely do the Allagash Al, you won't regret it.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have always wanted to do the Allagash and the Saint Johns as well.The Saint Johns is more dependent on a recent rain,less lake paddling as well. I have heard loons while canoe camping in Sylvania Wilderness Upper Peninsula Michigan.They are awesomely crazy birds.The tremolo is apparently when they are being harrassed or think they are and the wild lonely call is for communication as in "Here I am".They would dive down as I approached the canoe and then pop up on the other side of the canoe and give the tremolo call.I"m like! You really think I can catch you? Your crazy:)