'Lost' rainbow toad rediscovered

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess they don't say Wonk Wonk Wonk

BTW, last weekend Jessica and I heard a bunch of tree frogs along a main road around puddles that were made to allow the water to run off the road. We spent only a few minutes looking for them but by that time they had quieted down. This was in the middle of the day. So they are still out wonking there if anyone is looking to find them.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
BTW, last weekend Jessica and I heard a bunch of tree frogs along a main road around puddles that were made to allow the water to run off the road. We spent only a few minutes looking for them but by that time they had quieted down. This was in the middle of the day. So they are still out wonking there if anyone is looking to find them.

Guy

Guy last Saturday in the pines you would have thought it was a spring day. I had wonkers just ripping out there and leopard, greens, grey trees and carpenters were going crazy as well. All that rain must have fooled them into thinking it was breeding time again.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I remember how loud those summer woods were with frogs. I don't know if it's ever like that any more.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Nice! But the frogs don't sound the way I remember them

grunt grunt grunt grunt

nor do the whippoorwills. Here's the whippoorwills I remember:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Whip-poor-will/sounds

Whip-oor-will!

And I don't think there even were coyotes in the Barrens back then, were there? And they don't sound like the western coyotes here in AZ which make more of a yapping sound.

Pandot

Scout
Sep 30, 2008
Sweetwater
Occasionally, we hear whippoorwills when our windows are open at night. One memorable time, it sounded as if one was literally right below our bedroom window. It sometimes sounds like they are spread throughout the woods behind our back property. Kinda like the tree frogs. It's comforting, in a way, being surrounded by 'em, even if I may never actually see one.