Lots of Fields

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
I was checking out google earth, some poking around... i followed whiting rd. (rt 539) in ocean co. when i noticed a bunch of trails (obviously) connecting bunches and bunches of fields. both on the left and right side of the road. i'd say 5 miles bfor the intersection of rt.70 and the big housing complexes. near bamber lake i think. anybody know what these fields are for? why there are some many of them? who owns them?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'm not certain but I think you are referring to the rye fields in Greenwood WMA. They are there, primarily, for the deer, for the hunters. They resemble letters. Is that what you are referring to? There has been some discussion on the forum about them.

Jeff

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Most of the fields are just squares, but quite a few do resemble letters. L's,V's, and T's mostly....I don't see any other letters.

Half of the fields are scattered out randomly, and another half are bunched up in something like a grid. I don't see any other bunches of fields so this must be greenwood wma. since it's a wma it's open to the public then huh?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is the Greenwood Forest. They cut the "Rye Fields" to attract deer. The Greenwood forest was primarily purchased by hunting license fees, so they try to do what they can to help the hunters.

And for the record many of those letters have destroyed some really historic stones. :(

Guy

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
NJSnakeMan said:
Most of the fields are just squares, but quite a few do resemble letters. L's,V's, and T's mostly....I don't see any other letters.

Half of the fields are scattered out randomly, and another half are bunched up in something like a grid. I don't see any other bunches of fields so this must be greenwood wma. since it's a wma it's open to the public then huh?

:siren: If you're thinking of looking for snakes and stuff there just beware of the fact that the area has game wardens on it much of the time. Even though you don't do anything illegal they will stop you to ask questions.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
swwit said:
the fact that the area has game wardens on it much of the time.

They ride around in ATV's. I wonder if that is legal :) :)

Guy