Lovely day kayaking on the Mullica up to Lock's Bridge

I paddled a few hours on the Mullica up to Lock's Bridge a few weeks ago, my first time kayaking since breaking my ankle right after Memorial Day. Beautiful day! Here are two of my favorite photos, and I wrote a post about it as well: Kayaking on the Mullica River.

1200_B&B_Shorty2021_BestTurtle.jpeg

1200_B&B_Shorty2021_BestLily.jpeg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Breaking your ankle on the day that heralds the beginning of summer had to be awful, with great weeping and gnashing of teeth. How did it happen?

I severely sprained my ankle two months before a three week trip to Alaska. Was in a soft cast for six weeks. I made it there anyway and was fine.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens
Breaking your ankle on the day that heralds the beginning of summer had to be awful, with great weeping and gnashing of teeth. How did it happen?

I severely sprained my ankle two months before a three week trip to Alaska. Was in a soft cast for six weeks. I made it there anyway and was fine.
And then I was in a walking boot followed by a leg brace until Labor Day. Worse was that it was my driving leg so I pretty much spent the summer hanging around the house. It was just a stupid accident. I slipped in the mud, fell hard, and badly twisted my ankle. My fibula snapped from the torsion.

• Wow
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I used to love canoing, and kayaking in my ik (inflatable kayak), in the Pine Barrens. I miss that. It's been a long time. I even went in the winter, breaking through the ice.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
How was it with an inflatable kayak? I don't see them used much on the rivers here.

I used my ik all over - in rivers, lakes, bays, and even out into the ocean off the coast. My last one that i had for a long time was the Sea Eagle Explorer. It was very strong, made of the same material they use for inflatable power boats. I have a photo of it at Lake Oswego in the PB on here someplace. I lived in an apartment so I could take it wherever i wanted and inflate it. I carried it in my big backpack over the hills to lakes in New Jersey. They have even better ones now.