Lovely day kayaking on the Mullica up to Lock's Bridge

I paddled a few hours on the Mullica up to Lock's Bridge a few weeks ago, my first time kayaking since breaking my ankle right after Memorial Day. Beautiful day! Here are two of my favorite photos, and I wrote a post about it as well: Kayaking on the Mullica River.

1200_B&B_Shorty2021_BestTurtle.jpeg

1200_B&B_Shorty2021_BestLily.jpeg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Breaking your ankle on the day that heralds the beginning of summer had to be awful, with great weeping and gnashing of teeth. How did it happen?

I severely sprained my ankle two months before a three week trip to Alaska. Was in a soft cast for six weeks. I made it there anyway and was fine.

Reactions: BeachandBarrens
Breaking your ankle on the day that heralds the beginning of summer had to be awful, with great weeping and gnashing of teeth. How did it happen?

I severely sprained my ankle two months before a three week trip to Alaska. Was in a soft cast for six weeks. I made it there anyway and was fine.
And then I was in a walking boot followed by a leg brace until Labor Day. Worse was that it was my driving leg so I pretty much spent the summer hanging around the house. It was just a stupid accident. I slipped in the mud, fell hard, and badly twisted my ankle. My fibula snapped from the torsion.

• Wow
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I used to love canoing, and kayaking in my ik (inflatable kayak), in the Pine Barrens. I miss that. It's been a long time. I even went in the winter, breaking through the ice.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A couple members here have them:

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
How was it with an inflatable kayak? I don't see them used much on the rivers here.

I used my ik all over - in rivers, lakes, bays, and even out into the ocean off the coast. My last one that i had for a long time was the Sea Eagle Explorer. It was very strong, made of the same material they use for inflatable power boats. I have a photo of it at Lake Oswego in the PB on here someplace. I lived in an apartment so I could take it wherever i wanted and inflate it. I carried it in my big backpack over the hills to lakes in New Jersey. They have even better ones now.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Here's me in the Barrens in a hard shell aluminum canoe, spring 1980. Where was I? I don't know. It looks like a place that was flooded.

A friend brought this canoe down (I have some more photos of that trip) but I'd rent them there too. Are the PB canoe rental places still there?

Those two photos at the top are beautiful. I miss the PB.

My favorite canoeing book:

Two guys quit their job at Bernarr McFadden's "Physical Culture" magazine in the height of the depression in the 1930's, bought a beat up used canoe, for $10 I think, tossed it into the Hudson river in midtown Manhattan - and paddled it all the way up to Nome, Alaska, the longest fully documented canoe voyage in history at the time!

PS I still have that bandanna!

Attachments

• Canoing in the Barrens Spring 1980.jpg
    Canoing in the Barrens Spring 1980.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003

Micks bought out Pine Barrens canoe rental​

Reactions: Pan