Mac OS X Crashing

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I just found about this at lunch time. A bug in Mac OS X has been found. Apparently if you type "File:///" minus the quote marks on a Mac running the Mountain Lion operating system will crash your computer. The capital "F" is an important factor and by the time you hit the third "/" down everything goes. It seems that even trying to report it into Crash Reporter UI caused the Crash Reporter itself to go down.

http://openradar.appspot.com/13128709

http://thenextweb.com/shareables/20...ill-crash-almost-any-application-on-your-mac/

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I now have 10.8.2 and it has been semi frustrating. They make the home library folder invisible now so I had to remedy that quickly. Jessica is running the same system and can get PTHPasteboard working fine but it won't in mine. And Basecamp was causing an issue where I had generic icons on all of my GPX files. I eventually had to compress Basecamp and trash the program. As soon as I did the icons returned looking like they did before with Terrabrowser. The problem is Mac no longer supports PowerPC programs so the only thing Terrabrowser is good for is having the proper icon display. I am now running two computers, one for my maps and Terrabrowser, and one for everything else.

And this computer has a terrible issue with Ben's Live Maps. Maybe it is the new mouse they provide but I am not sure. I drag the pointer and drop it and the map takes off and zooms in somewhere else with the pointer not to be found. I have to try and zoom back out to find it and try again to drag it where I want. Rarely does this work and I have to give up. I am trying to narrow this one down because I use the maps constantly and need them to work.

It took me two days to get my mail from one computer to the other. It would not import all of the mail for some reason into Postbox. I had to import from Postbox to Mail in one computer, them copy it to the other and import from Mail to Postbox and that still was sloppy. I tried to just use Mail but that program is so poor I had to give up on it. I really want to go back to Entourage but don't want to spend more money on Office for the Mac. Jessica would go in with me but I am uncertain if I can load it on both computers. I don't want to buy and not be able to.

I have to say this is the first system in a while I have been unhappy with. To be more exact I hate the fact they removed Rosetta. I see there was a third party attempt to make a program like Rosetta but their website is now up for sale. I guess that was a failure.

And this computer does not even have a DVD/CD drive. I was making disk images on my other one and using that. However, even though she has been as sick as a dog for two weeks, Jessica stopped on the way home from the doctors and bought me the mini super drive and said she didn't want any money for it. Now you know why I keep her around :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow. This is why I don't upgrade unless I have to. My main machine is a MacBook Air with no DVD drive too. I bought the external drive but have never used it. Really, I was very impressed when I went to the MacBook Air from a 2008 MacBook Pro - Apple's software moved all my files and software with no problems. Sounds like 10.8 isn't as robust...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I really don't follow the conventional ways of migrating so that may be some of the problem.

I am also having a problem with file sharing. I needed a quick way to move files from one computer to another because I now have to run two of them, but the file sharing in this computer would not work properly. I consulted with Ben and in the end I gave up and now email myself to move files. More than likely I am doing something wrong, but I was able to easily set it up in the other computer so why not in this one?????

Another issue is Spotlight. Before 10.8 I set it up for folders and photo's to show up first in the list at the top right of the screen. Then if I opened it in a window they were at the top also. Not so with 10.8. They show up at the top in the menu but once I open them in a window I may have thousands of files at the top and the folders and photo's are all over the place. I have to scroll forever to find what I want. I even turned everything off except folder and photo's and when I open in a window the folders and photo's are still intermingled with thousands of other files. I resorted to downloading a program called EasyFind and now use that. It is ok but I prefer the old Spotlight.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am also having a problem with file sharing. I needed a quick way to move files from one computer to another because I now have to run two of them, but the file sharing in this computer would not work properly. I consulted with Ben and in the end I gave up and now email myself to move files. More than likely I am doing something wrong, but I was able to easily set it up in the other computer so why not in this one?????

I know nothing about Apples, other than they make a great pie :D

But, for me, I find it more effective to keep files I want to share between computers on an external drive. Very simple to get to and no chance of duplicates getting out of synch.

Reactions: dogg57

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
A really nice feature of the NAS is I can view my videos, pictures and music on my 60" tv with surround sound at the other end of my house without ever turning on my PC.
You Mac users might want to check this out:
Mac computer users can utilize all the features of Apple® Time Machine backup software .

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I now have 10.8.2 and it has been semi frustrating. They make the home library folder invisible now so I had to remedy that quickly.

Actually, Apple hid the home library folder in Lion. I agree it is a PITA to find. I just had to go into Terminal.

Here's instructions for Mac users on Lion or Mountain Lion on finding the home library folder.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Doesn't really have to be so hard. From the desktop, Go > Go To Folder > Library. :)

ibrary.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Better yet...make it visable as I did. I don't want them hiding my folders. They most likely only do that because people play around and don't know what they are doing, or they are spiteful.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't know if I ever have had to go into my home/library folder, but when I deal with moving/copying files I just do it all in Terminal. I come from a UNIX/Linux background and see the Mac as a good UNIX workstation more than anything else.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That is the coolest thing about MacOSX. It's BSD unix under the hood, the same environment I had on a amber-screen VT-220 connected to a DEC VAX 11/750 back in 1985. :cool: