Maine "desert"

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
There is (or was) a similar patch of "desert", although of somewhat different origin, outside Newport in Cumberland County. A large sand mine had created a huge pile of waste sand that must have been at least 60' high - taller than the treetops. It was slowly being moved by the wind, and you could see where it was engulfing trees. Used to take my kids there to go sand surfing. Not sure if it is still there or was ultimately hauled away.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was in the maine desert last year,they claim glaciers did it and I tend to believe them.
The desert spoken of by amf is where I used to go to watch astronomical events.I called it White Mountain.It was close to 100 ft high and shaped like mauna Loa volcano a large shield volcano.It was awesome.The sand plant has now eaten it up and created a new pond where it once was.It was like being in a desert because of the slope you could get in the center and not see anything but sand and then as you approached the slope the woods became visible.I once watched fireworks in bridgeton,ocean city,atlantic city millville and vineland all at once.I miss that spot.Plus the fact it was posted made it even more exciting

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Its real close to the 'Big Boot', best taxidermy I ever saw, 2 bull moose with locked antlers. I'll be up there next week, its chowdah time :dance: The 'desert' is a bit touristy IMO.

Reactions: manumuskin

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Well i was a tourist,they could tell my pronouncement of my R's:)

Reminds me of the old story about the woman who moved to Maine and was bothered that after several years she was still treated like an outsider. After a time she had a baby, and when visiting the local market with her child said to the shop owner, "My son was born here, so I guess that makes him a native!" The shop owner gazed at her for a moment. "Well," he said, "a cat can have kittens in the oven, but it don't make 'em biscuits."

Reactions: amf

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Not to divert the thread, but that lidar link is amazing! Here's about where the "White Mtns of South Jersey" were:
#lidar,39.309901,-75.122409,16

Reactions: Boyd

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
as you can see the peak of the hill is now a Blue Hole.If you click on the 1995 image upper right you can see this used to be a White Mountain,I used to hang out up here from 87 till they started tearing it down around 2000.It was a very cool place.
Wow. A testament to the impermanence of mountains!;)

Reactions: manumuskin

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Reactions: Menantico