MakePeace Lake Info Needed

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I want to fish Make peace lake in the next week or two. I was looking for some infomation before I head down. My target is redfin pickerel. Is it true that they are in there? It seems to be the only lake in NJ that has them. Is there a place to put my 12 foot jon boat in? Any good lures or bait to use for winter pickerel fishing? If no redfins, I might still fish for chains. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Brian

sandcast69

Jan 4, 2010
Mays Landing, N.J.
I can't help with the fish info, haven't fished it yet, but i've paddled it alot.

You can launch from the southwest corner of the lake. Enter from Elwood rd onto the dirt rd and go down about 1/10 of a mile...launch area is on the left. Be really careful if you have an outboard, there are ALOT of stumps and logs just under the surface. eastern side of lake is very shallow(about 1ft in places) unless the water levels are very high. Keep an eye out for the otters, they're a blast to watch!

Launch area- N39*32.607 W074*45.114

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

sandcast69

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I drove past this am and there was a skim coat of ice on the water.

Anyway, I fished it 2 years ago & what sandcast said is true....lots of stumps. Be deadly accurate with your casts!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Woodjin (Jeff) might be able to help with the Redfin info.He is the fishmaster of the forum and a pickerel conessuir(sic)_
Al

Herringking,
I know it isn't true that redfins are only present in a few select areas. I've come across them deep in the woods at some of the old abandoned bogs. Only once, possibly twice did I catch a redfin on tackle. The vast majority are pretty small and you are less likely to catch them than the chainsides. Your best bet is to take a bait net and scoop within grass, sedge and sphagum thick shallows along the edges. Not real sporting but... I have also found them in semi-aquatic canals and mostly wet spungs where they are well hidden from chain pikerel. Make sure the spung or canal fills with water during rain and runs into a permanent body of water. These areas are usually filled with immature chains and redfin (less than 6").

If you want to catch them on tackle, I would suggest getting a worm in the shallow where there is thick vegetation, or if you can find a canal that runs from a body of water. They seem to do better than chain pickerel in cedar swamps as well. Good luck.

Jeff

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
Sounds good. I was expecting them to be pretty small. Just want to catch one so I can check it off the list. Thanks for you help. Now I just need to find an abandoned bog that is deep in the woods.:)