manamuskin trip

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
goin to manamuskin tomorrow with my cousin if anyone wanted to join, were goin in around the trussle near wayde boulevard, about 10, 9, in the morning, gonna try to find a pine snake finaly, tomorrows the day for sure, wish me luck, any advice?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was out there today. There is a guy out there who police the area he lives nearby and he was out there today. He likes to know what your up to so I would suggest going out with just a camera. If you look like your looking for pine snakes he may question you. Not familar with wade boulevard is it off port elizabeth road?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
aHve fun. You know, I've seen a lot of pine snakes. So many I have lost count. Well into the double digits. I didn't see any for years and then every summer I see five or six at least. Almost always basking on the sugar sand, the more white the better. A few times crossing pavement. Seen too many dead ones on pavement. Unfortunitely, they don't jump out at you on sugar sand either so that usually means slamming on the brakes at the last second. I am bringing this up because it seems that pine snakes are being discussed as a rarity and I see them often, without even trying, maybe that is the trick.

Jeff

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I think not trying to find them is the key. Last october I went out on a cool day, on a hike not expecting to see any reptiles. I ended up finding a very young pine snake in sugar sand like you describe he was incredibly camoflauged. I literally was staring at him for five minutes till I realized it was a snake.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
thanks for the luck but there was none as far as pine snakes go, i did however find a black rat snake and a monster garter snake(over 3 feet) by far the largest ive ever seen, also tons of lizards, and some toads, i got some pics, cheap camera, not sure if i know how to put them on but ill try, sorry in advance for the poor quality.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 206

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Rat snake is a nice find, I've never seen one of those out there. I would say that manumuskin has the largest population of fence swifts I've seen. I literally see a dozen to two dozen ever time out. Did you get to the sand wash blue ponds or sand mine ruins?

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
i was by the ruins, no luck, and the ponds, thats were the garter was, near a pond, they usually are near water when i find them. The ratsnake had some some scars, nothing serious, but he had about 4, only was was big, he was functioning fine though.