Many foundations near Bear Swamp Hill

B

BarryC

Today I took Keith the former co-worker, and his new boss, to Bear Swamp Hill, to hike to the landing gear. His boss new the way to Bear Swamp Hill better than I, so I let him lead the way. Unfortunately he made a mistake almost immediately. Instead of turning up Sooy Road, he stayed straight on the road marked here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=1...6&s=50&size=l&u=0&layer=DRG25 Somewhere up that road (I don't know where though) I found a foundation on the right. We got out and walked. Immediately I saw another, and then another and then another, and so on. There must have been 5 or 6. Some were poured concrete and some were block. So they aren't terribly old. Anyone know anything about these? Do they ring a bell to anyone? There was also a square thing in the ground, about 4 feet square or a bit smaller. It was like a drainage box or something. Down inside a terra-cotta pipe came into it from the surrounding ground. Weird. All this was in the middle of nowhere.
After this we turned around and went back to the lake and turned up Sooy Road and up Bear Swamp Hill. We hiked to the landing gear which was cool, and found a geocache box there. Kendawg had signed in it.
After this the two guys followed me to Martha and I took them up to Nash's Cabin. After that they left and that's when I went to Jemima Mount, as written about in the last post.
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was cranberry country so that may be the purpose of them. Good Find!

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i travel that road all the time.i never seen foundations there but the parallel road just to the south of it has someinteresting foundation along it with a cellar hole back along the swamp.
Al

B

BarryC

Well all I know is, we drove down Lake Oswego Road, past the lake and continued on. When there were forks in the road, we stayed on what looked like the continuation of the road we were on (like if the pavement looked the same). Somewhere out there, I saw these foundations. I'm pretty sure it's the road I put the X on, on that map. And of course I found the foundations by accident. It was cool.
manumuskin said:
i travel that road all the time.i never seen foundations there but the parallel road just to the south of it has someinteresting foundation along it with a cellar hole back along the swamp.
Al

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
Guy,
This sounds like the same area I private messaged you about. I was there yesterday and I came in from the old Tuckerton - Chatsworth road. I found another road that cames in close to Bear Swamp Hill and I wonder if this might be an area where the jet came to rest. These are the coordinates: N39' 45.141 W 74'27.512 There is a path and also a grown over road.
Ken

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
Guy,
Thanks, for the map and photo. I am assuming the dark area in the photo is Bear Swamp. When I found the path, I got out of my truck and looked down the path. It looked like a wide open area just a few hundred feet back. I'll have to go back and hike down the path and also the overgrown road. I'll put the coords for the landing gear in my GPS and I'll let you know what I come up with.
Ken