Map Interests

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Could Lidar-derived imaging tell us where the winds barreling down from the top of the Wisconsin ice sheet formed dunes in the barrens? I have no idea, but it's intriguing to see some very smooth terrain on some elevations. Below is Devious, and a couple other spots, near Bulltown Road and Carranza Road. Or, could this just be smoothing caused by winds carrying sand and other debris evenly scrubbing down already elevated mounds? If that were true, why don't all the mounds appear this way? Odd. What is Lidar showing us here?

devious.JPG
bulltown.JPG
carr.JPG

Reactions: Spung-Man

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Hate to spoil your theory, but those look like artifacts that are the result of bad data, the 3d shader, or the way I made the map. For one thing, the LIDAR would be very uninteresting if I hadn't exaggerated the vertical height of the terrain. This was pretty substantial - around 10 to 15 times IIRC - in other words, a 100 foot high hill is being rendered like a 1500 foot high hill. That process may cause some "clipping" where the terrain has been stretched too far.

My PC is shutdown for the day, will try to look at this tomorrow. But I doubt that those are real features. Have a look at my other LIDAR imagery of those same spots, or better yet, look at the contours at the maximum zoom level of my HD map of the Pines. They were created from LIDAR data with no vertical exaggeration. From what I've seen, nothing looks smooth in LIDAR imagery except the surface of water. Have a look at that 1 meter LIDAR I posted, it is really bumpy looking. https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/new-lidar-with-3x-higher-resolution.12375/#post-147771

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Boyd, I'd be curious to see what you come up with. Odd that these few (and possibly others not yet found on your Lidar map on the site) are like this, but none else.

PS: Have not been able to use Googe Earth for a couple years now. My computer spits it out. One of those things where I tried some things to get it to work, but no luck.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Bob, here is a full resolution image of Devious from the new 1 meter LIDAR imagery that I just now downloaded.

devious.png

I would like to make a "LIDAR in the Pines HD" map using this new imagery one of these days, haven't really taken the time to look at what's available yet.

I think your concept is good here, but would just be careful about drawing too many conclusions based on that old map. One reason I removed it from my own site is that I don't think it represents my best work anymore, but I know that you and others still like it so I gave the data to Ben.

Remember when you drew a picture that you were so proud of in the second grade? Your mom put it up on the wall and everyone loved it. Now you're a ninth grader and you say, "Mom, isn't it time to take that old picture off the wall?" That's sort of how I feel about the old LIDAR map. :D

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Boyd! I had not drawn any conclusions, hence the 4 question marks in my post. I'm glad you cleared it up.

I would LOVE to eventually see the HD Lidar on Ben's site (emphasis on eventually). I can understand how busy you are. Take your time :D

Edit: but it would be great if the old LIDAR were still kept too. It is great for the macro view.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Cool. But I have no plans to make any more online maps, will continue to concentrate on my universal format downloadable maps that install on your computers and phones. And Ben has indicated that he isn't keen on hosting additional maps due to the limited resources of the NJPB server.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here's a question for you Al. Do you know what this pattern is from just SW of Vineland above Union Lake? It looks as if it might have been a field of towers with guy wires?

upload_2018-4-20_21-54-2.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes Bob.That is a spraying area for the Vineland septic facility which is east just on the other side of 55 from it.Just north of your photo is an overpass with a dirt road under it that facilitates the septic facility getting to that side of the road.This was a gorgeous smilax filled patch of pine barrens till about ten years ago when the septic facility mowed it to the ground.It is kind of neat looking now,kind of a Barrens savannah.me and a friend have poked around the edges for rare plants but have yet to venture into the interior.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
yes Bob.That is a spraying area for the Vineland septic facility which is east just on the other side of 55 from it.Just north of your photo is an overpass with a dirt road under it that facilitates the septic facility getting to that side of the road.This was a gorgeous smilax filled patch of pine barrens till about ten years ago when the septic facility mowed it to the ground.It is kind of neat looking now,kind of a Barrens savannah.me and a friend have poked around the edges for rare plants but have yet to venture into the interior.

What do you mean Al, are they spraying rehabilitated septic water there that is unfit to be used for anything else?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Millville treats their sewage right next to the river and release the liquid right into the river.They claim it's safe.I know not what they do with the sludge.smells to high heaven in the morning along silver run road across the river and the trailer park and school.I don't know how folks live in that area or the kids can go to school in it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jeez, that's awful. I'm surprised with an endangered plant nearby, that they are allowed to spray that stuff. But still, it may be innocuous though stinky.