Marker near Batsto

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Fellers,

While exploring the area where the Sleeper branch meets the Mullica, I came across what appears to be a fairly old stone marker in the middle of a sugar sand clearing. Whatever markings may have once been engraved into the stone have completely faded. I know that Jospeh Ball's "folly" was in the vicinity, and I'm wondering if this marker dates back that far. Anyone have any ideas? See the red target for the location:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4389330&e=528728&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That looks like a very interesting area on terraserver, many large sandy areas. What do you think they are from? Not many roads back there at all. Looks like a good wilderness camp.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you look around for the state marker nearby? From what I can tell that is the first area that the state surveyed for the Wharton property. There should have been a state marker nearby that said either NJ4M or NJ5M.

NJ5M is right along the river, and NJ4M is farther away near a road or path.

I have the coordinates of them if you want to compare.

There is a triangular section of property there that apparently the state did not own in 1955. I am almost certain they now own it.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Hey Bob.

"That looks like a very interesting area on terraserver, many large sandy areas. What do you think they are from? Not many roads back there at all. Looks like a good wilderness camp."

I suppose that those sandy spots were caused by at least one of the two ponds that once covered the area. I have read that it was as the turn of the 18th century that Joseph Ball dammed the Mechescatauxin (sleeper branch) and formed Old Pond, although I haven't much of a clue as to the exact location of this pond. Towards the end of the 18th century, the Mullica was dammed right before its confluence with the Sleeper.

This whole area makes for a great hike, and their are a number of trails and even dirt roads in the area, although most of roads are off-limits for vehicles. Lots of history here, and many things which keep me wondering.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Howdy Guy,

"Did you look around for the state marker nearby? From what I can tell that is the first area that the state surveyed for the Wharton property. There should have been a state marker nearby that said either NJ4M or NJ5M.

NJ5M is right along the river, and NJ4M is farther away near a road or path."

I wasn't aware of this. I'd really appreciate the coordinates.

"There is a triangular section of property there that apparently the state did not own in 1955. I am almost certain they now own it. "

Yes, you are correct. This is all in the Wharton tract. Is this the section you are referring to?
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4390336&e=528652&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
pinelandpaddler said:
Howdy Guy,

"Did you look around for the state marker nearby? From what I can tell that is the first area that the state surveyed for the Wharton property. There should have been a state marker nearby that said either NJ4M or NJ5M.

NJ5M is right along the river, and NJ4M is farther away near a road or path."

I wasn't aware of this. I'd really appreciate the coordinates.

"There is a triangular section of property there that apparently the state did not own in 1955. I am almost certain they now own it. "

Yes, you are correct. This is all in the Wharton tract. Is this the section you are referring to?
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4390336&e=528652&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Thanks

I just looked the info I have over more closely, and I only have the info for this side of the river. For some reason I did not get your exact spot.

This area is where the stones I mentioned are.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4388958&e=528505&s=50&size=m&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Guy