Markers in the pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Is anyone else interested in any types of markers that you stumble upon in the pines? I know I am, so whenever I find one I photograph it. This past weekend on the North side of the tracks at Pine Crest (Apple Pie Hill intersection) I found the one that is at the link below. It was only about 20 feet into the woods off the tracks just a short distance from Pine Crest heading toward Atsion. I saw it from the tracks.

It appears to be old judging by the wear on the cement, and it at one time must have been painted yellow. Does anyone have any idea what they think it may be for?

Also, where have you found a marker?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/NorthSideTracksPineCrest.jpg

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Hi Guy,

A friend once told me there was a marker on top of Devious. This is a bit of trivia.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I have been there years ago, but some of my photo's have been misplaced over the years. Then again I may have never taken one. My maps are in my car so I can't look them over to refresh my memory as to exactly where that is. I will look hem over in the morning.

Thanks for the response.

Guy

VTowner

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Visit site
That's like the marker I found by Batsto, except the one I saw looked like this:

45 W.
----------
L.

It was a couple miles from Batsto on the Batona going toward Bass River.

ed

Dec 31, 1969
Guy, there's also a similar marker near the blueberry monument at Friendship. It appears old, as the concrete is worn. When you visit the monument, park your car there. Walk up the road that you took off the road from Friendship. It's pine needle covered once you get past the monument area. After about 1/4 mile there's a small road off to the left and the road you were on turns to sand. It's right before this area on the left near the road (within about 6 feet). One of my dogs found it, must be like a fire hydrant.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

I went to Devious today to photograph the marker as I did years ago. I was unsuccessful in finding it even though I remember approximately where it was. It was not located at the top as most markers are, it was on the slope along a fire break. My daughter and I walked the hill for an hour along all of the fire breaks, on the top, and anywhere my memory took me.

I was able to get my car to within 1000 to 1500 yards of the hill so all of the walking was searching time. There is a possibility it is no longer there, but I need more than an hour of searching to make that assumption.

I will return soon and spend more time there.

The Batona trail works it's way across the lower sections of the hill which I did not remember. I walked from Batsto to Carranza years ago and never even remembered passing that area.

By the way, Devious means "Out of the way place". Very appropriate....

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM and All,

I was determined to find the Devious Geodetic marker, and needed to narrow my search area for finding it. So I did a little investigating and found out that there is actually 3 markers on Devious, the Station marker, and two reference markers.

This surprised me, because I had only know there to be one marker there which I visited years ago. But the information I obtained proved otherwise. Here is what I have learned.

Each time the markers are visited by a member of the Geological Survey, a report is generated on what they have found. There are two reports, one from 1935 when they were created, and again in 1954. They were found then to be in good condition as they still are today. Here is the USGS description of the reference markers locations, from the location of the Station marker.

THE STATION PROJECTS 8 INCHES AND IS STAMPED DEVIOUS 1935.

REFERENCE MARK NO. 1 IS 18.495 METERS (60.67 FEET) NORTH-NORTHEAST
OF THE STATION, 5 PACES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF A 10-INCH PINE TREE,
3 PACES NORTHWEST OF A 12-INCH PINE TREE, AND ON THE NORTH SLOPE
OF A HILL. THE MARK PROJECTS 4 INCHES AND IS STAMPED DEVIOUS
NO 1 1935.

REFERENCE MARK NO. 2 IS 18.273 METERS (56.95 FEET) WEST-NORTHWEST
OF THE STATION, ON THE NORTHWEST SLOPE OF A HILL, 3 PACES
NORTHEAST OF A 6-INCH PINE TREE, AND 3 PACES SOUTHWEST OF AN
8-INCH PINE TREE. THE MARK PROJECTS 6 INCHES AND IS STAMPED
DEVIOUS NO 2 1935.

(Those trees are long gone)

So armed with this info and a better map, my brother, daughter and I found the Station marker quite easily. It was as clean as I had remembered it. Using the info from above we also found the two reference markers in short order. They were completely covered with dirt, and it required quite a bit of spit polish to remove the dirt to see the info on them. What we have learned form the markers is that all of the reference markers have arrows on them pointing to the Station marker. So if you ever stumble onto a marker with an arrow, look in that direction for another one.

Below are links to photo's of each one.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/Devious/Devious.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/Devious/DeviousNo.1.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/Devious/DeviousNo.2.jpg

Guy

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
Good work Guy. The photos are really nice too. You sure are determined!

May I ask what your career is?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

It may seem odd but I enjoy searching out and finding the markers. I am in the process of finding another one that I believe is buried under years of leaves and mulch, and is surrounded by stickers. I searched a few minutes last week, but had limited time. I just live too far away to spend as much time as I would like out there.

I am a machinist. I make everything from nuts and bolts, to propulsion fittings on satellites. I even made the propulsion fittings on the Mars Observer, which you may remember disappeared in space. It was believed there was a propulsion explosion. I was exonerated since every fitting we make is x-rayed, and we keep a copy of them.

Here is a photo of one part I made.

http://homepage.mac.com/teegate/.Pictures/part.jpg

Guy

BobM

Scout
Dec 31, 1969
That part you made is pretty intricate Guy. I spent some time as a helper in a machine shop and did rough work on a lathe and milling machines. You sure did some fancy chucking up to cut that baby.

They always say you guys pay attention to detail. You oughta make it a hobby to find markers in the pines. Not many others would do it, and it gets you out there often, where we most love to be...right?