Marking Rivers on public lands

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
A month or so ago I was driving along the Batsto River. At a usual spot that I've stopped in the past I noticed relatively new mile markers on the stream. I'm assuming that these have been done by canoe liveries that do this for safety. With that said I find it hard to believe that the best way for them to mark it is with a can of spray paint and Home Depot reflective tape, on both sides of the river at that. There should be guidelines on how these should be marked that is consistent with any state signage.
This is a practice that has been done to mark party spots and other things, which bothers me but has been allowed over the decades. Now we have businesses who turn a profit off of state land doing the same thing. I have to say that burns me even more.
image.jpg
image.jpg
P.S.... There was so much TP hanging from the shrubs in this area that one would think that cotton grows naturally in the pines.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
The mile markers were put up by O.E.M. for 911 along most of the larger canoe streams to help locate the parties in need if an emergency were to arise to eliminate confusion on a location. There is a thread I saw a while back on here regarding the same thing. As far as I know their on the West Branch and Oswego also.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that it's not the liveries placing them there at least. I know the mile markers are important for first responders to respond effectively to an emergency. It would be nice if they were done more professionally.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
I understand the need for SAR operations with so many people down these rivers, especially in times of high water. Perhaps we should form a party to pretty them up a bit! Spray Paint I think was a poor choice. The Park Service markers along the Batsto(which have been there as long as I can remember), fit in with the scenery for the most part and do not heavily detract from the experience. Are any of you motivated to work on this?

Bill

Aug 10, 2015
I have seen these in recent months along the Mullica and Batsto. I think these are far worse than the ugly spray paint and reflector markers. As someone who has "rescued" lost paddlers along those rivers, I totally understand the need for safety. But these seem tacky and complete overkill. And, while I'm not a tree expert, I can't imagine that all those nails are healthy for the tree!
IMG_0535.JPG