marlton windmill

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
39.884055,-74.869534
Google Maps

On Tukerton Rd in Marlton, this Green Acres site is home to a colonial era windmill.
Anyone have any info on the property?

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
this tower?
RedTowerMarlton.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a shame since they fixed it up really nice quite a few years back and now it seems to be deteriorating.

Guy

Takoda

Feb 12, 2012
Southern NJ
I pass that location daily. It's quite amazing to see the structure deteriorate over the last few years. I can say that at one point, the structure had NO broken windows and the rooftop did not have a hole in it. In the background, not seen in the posted pics, to the left of the structure, there is what appears to be an airplane hangar or rather large pole barn.

My guess is the windows have been busted out over time due to vandals. I also heard that at one time, the land or lot was used for the Evesham Twp. Municipal impounds - not sure if 100% true, or if Evesham still even does anything with the lot (other than maintain the fields around it).

Im sure some of you sleuths can dig up further historical data on the site.

Down the road a ways from the red structure (about 2 miles or less, heading towards Medford), usually where the pumpkin picking, Halloween hay rides and Christmas trees are sold when the seasons come around - there used to be a rather large colonial home at the front of that property. It was demolished a few years back, however, the front cement stairs that used to go to the front porch are still there (what is left of them). I'm not sure why the structure was torn down or who owned it (or who owns the land today).

Also, the Twp. Just completed demolition on another colonial era home on that same road (if heading toward Main Street Marlton). It was a large white house, was abandoned for years (at least the last 30 that I recall). It sat very close to the edge of Tuckerton Rd. 2-story, very big. On the back lot of the property they used to sell firewood and at one point, there used to be landscaping equipment back there. As of 3 weeks ago, the entire property was leveled and the basement of the home that used to stand there was filled in. Can anyone get historical data on this property too?

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
The covered well is still visible if you look in the lower windows. I assume that it must have had a large wooden tank up toward the top from which the water was "gravity fed" for the house and farm.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Evesham has historically been very poor when it comes to protecting their historical property. As someone who lived in Evesham from the 50s to the 80s, I remember quite well the Savich Farm debacle. When the township took ownership of the place the Savich family still was living there keeping watch over it. However, someone came up with the great idea to toss them out and soon after it burned to the ground. Fortunately, I was able to get there and photograph it for my records.

BTW, there is a possibility my photo of the Savich home will be in a new book coming out this month. I am certain at least one other of mine is in it and maybe one of my moms. I would suggest if you are interested in the history of Evesham you place your order or pick it up at a book store after the 15th of this month. John Flack has spent a considerable amount of time with the help of at least one member of this site working to get this book out for all of you to enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Evesham-Towns...es+of+america+eveshma+township&tag=acleint-20

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Guy-

Do you remember the Savich ice-cream stand back in '70's? And do you have any photos of it? Would surely like to see a pic of the place I ate my 1st ice-cream cone.

After a summer baseball game, I remember my friend's mom saying "keep licking" as the it melted down my hand. Great memories!

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy-

Do you remember the Savich ice-cream stand back in '70's? And do you have any photos of it? Would surely like to see a pic of the place I ate my 1st ice-cream cone.

After a summer baseball game, I remember my friend's mom saying "keep licking" as the it melted down my hand. Great memories!

John-

Yes, I have a photo of the ice cream stand. It was long closed and boarded up. It is not a perfect photo but I never think they are anyway. I also have a photo of another structire there that I am uncertain of what it is.

Guy

Gretchen

Mar 24, 2015
Vernon NJ
39.884055,-74.869534
Google Maps

On Tukerton Rd in Marlton, this Green Acres site is home to a colonial era windmill.
Anyone have any info on the property?
I pass that location daily. It's quite amazing to see the structure deteriorate over the last few years. I can say that at one point, the structure had NO broken windows and the rooftop did not have a hole in it. In the background, not seen in the posted pics, to the left of the structure, there is what appears to be an airplane hangar or rather large pole barn.

My guess is the windows have been busted out over time due to vandals. I also heard that at one time, the land or lot was used for the Evesham Twp. Municipal impounds - not sure if 100% true, or if Evesham still even does anything with the lot (other than maintain the fields around it).

Im sure some of you sleuths can dig up further historical data on the site.

Down the road a ways from the red structure (about 2 miles or less, heading towards Medford), usually where the pumpkin picking, Halloween hay rides and Christmas trees are sold when the seasons come around - there used to be a rather large colonial home at the front of that property. It was demolished a few years back, however, the front cement stairs that used to go to the front porch are still there (what is left of them). I'm not sure why the structure was torn down or who owned it (or who owns the land today).

Also, the Twp. Just completed demolition on another colonial era home on that same road (if heading toward Main Street Marlton). It was a large white house, was abandoned for years (at least the last 30 that I recall). It sat very close to the edge of Tuckerton Rd. 2-story, very big. On the back lot of the property they used to sell firewood and at one point, there used to be landscaping equipment back there. As of 3 weeks ago, the entire property was leveled and the basement of the home that used to stand there was filled in. Can anyone get historical data on this property too?

I spent so much of my childhood on this farm (1970's). My parents friends rented the house & structures from a man who owned it. He owned a construction company and just wanted the property to keep his equipment / etc. During that time the windmill still had the original siding & staircase inside it. The first floor had the enormous grinding stone that was powered by the windmill. Attached to the side of the windmill was an old carriage house. Behind the big white farmhouse was a huge barn. During the decade our friends had the farm one side of the barn fell & then the other. The house was so cool inside - 5 fire places, 6 bedrooms & one bathroom. One the side of the house was the original summer kitchen. I'll have to look through my parents old photos to see if I can find pictures

ARMSTRONG

Mar 22, 2015
Tabernacle, NJ
I also have been driving past that for years. I did not know it was a wind mill. When my son was little he is 22 now there were people renting that had a son. I dropped AJ off a couple times to play. We once went in the windmill. I remember the wooden staircase. Funny they did no know what the building was. I remember the ice cream stand at Savich farm. I think the house was used as a haunted house up till it burned. I remember a lot of arrow heads could be found on the farm. I think it was a indian camp. It was a popular place for us to ride dirtbikes.

Genevieve

May 26, 2015
Evesham marlton
I've lived at the tuckerton farm almost my whole life. Its been 18 years. I've always looked for more info on the house. Does anyone have information on who built it and how long ago?

Genevieve

May 26, 2015
Evesham marlton
I spent so much of my childhood on this farm (1970's). My parents friends rented the house & structures from a man who owned it. He owned a construction company and just wanted the property to keep his equipment / etc. During that time the windmill still had the original siding & staircase inside it. The first floor had the enormous grinding stone that was powered by the windmill. Attached to the side of the windmill was an old carriage house. Behind the big white farmhouse was a huge barn. During the decade our friends had the farm one side of the barn fell & then the other. The house was so cool inside - 5 fire places, 6 bedrooms & one bathroom. One the side of the house was the original summer kitchen. I'll have to look through my parents old photos to see if I can find pictures
I would really love to see some old pictures of the house! I live here now. Moved in when I was three years old, ive spent my entire childhood here. Id love to learn more about my homes history

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I would really love to see some old pictures of the house! I live here now. Moved in when I was three years old, ive spent my entire childhood here. Id love to learn more about my homes history

You live at the farm? I want to live at the farm! A few years ago, Jennings Farm over in Medford advertised a house on the property for rent. I wouldn't mind living there, either. There are two other houses (not too many neighbors) and limited access. They have cows and chickens. Who wouldn't want to walk out of their door and pet a cow once in a while?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I volunteered at the Savich Farm haunted house when I was in high school. Guy, I would love to see the photo of the ice cream parlor....better yet, a photo of the sign from the end of the driveway. A friend of mine has just moved into the rental at the Jennings farm.... very cool place. I too have some old photos of the interior of the home from the mid 70s. Unfortunately, I have spent the last few years looking and still have not found them. I will be sure to post when I do.