Marsh Hawk

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Spotted this female way up in a tree while kayaking on the Mullica just above the beaver pond ( Locks Bridge). It was a very long shot.

J

jackwood

Hello,

I am Jackwood.This is my first visit to site.I am new to this site,but I’ve enjoyed posting in your forums.You have done great job.I like this photo.Great work.In the DesPlaines River valley between the river and the Santa Fe RR.,north-east of Mannheim Road bridge, lies one of the last remnants of the original Illinois prairies often burned but never ploughed and never mowed. It is the home of a pair of Marsh Hawks apparently they mate or life -- and once, by marking where the female flew up from a tangle of dead grasses, we found their nest.This is the only American hawk that always nests on the ground.When hunting, it skims low over a big marsh or an upland prairie, tirelessly quartering back and forth like a well-trained bird dog. Now and then it makes a few deliberate wing strokes but when it spies a moving prey the hawk halts may even do a back somersault -- hovers an instant with rapidly beating wings, and then pounces. His trademark is a conspicuous white rump.Thank you very much and Stay connected with me.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am not a birder, but its fun to try and figure this out because no one has taken a firm stand. I have Kaufmann's book.

This does not look like a Marsh Hawk, also known as the Norther Harrier; Circus cyaneus.

This is an Accipiter, and I think it is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii).

The other choice is the Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus). But my determination is that no, it is too large for that.

I would like to be proven wrong as it would help me learn.

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
It's a Coop.
A sharpie would have long skinny legs, a smallish head. and a more squared off tail.
Round vs square tail is not entirely diagnostic, but this bird has a decidedly round tail.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Any thoughts on what this may be? I am thrown by the colored band about the neck... otherwise, I would say it was a red tail.

watermark.php

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Any thoughts on what this may be? I am thrown by the colored band about the neck... otherwise, I would say it was a red tail..

I am going to say a Red Tail too (Buteo jamaicensis), and here is why.

Below the distinguishing white portion of the breast is the streaked bands of the belly. The color I think you are referring too is actually the throat, which is another marker of the red tail. If you can magnify your photo to show the characteristic dark leading edge of the front wings, I think we are 85% correct.

Edit: the Swainsons is a Western hawk that migrates to South America for the winter. Kaufman says that..."a few individuals stray to the Atlantic Coast in fall....(but)....he goes on to say that..."winter reports of Swainson's are usually based on Red Tail or Rough-legged Hawks".

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
That chart is good. I have the Golden Field guide and the Audubon guide, and that does look like the Swainson's, thanks. I will try to get a better picture.

EDIT: better pic... the swainsons dark color seems to go down the breast more than this. That tail is very red...

watermark.php

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yep, you can see the forward edge wing detail better in this shot. I tend not to use coloration so much as there can be a lot of variation.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
Well so much for consensus. The two pics I posted are the same bird. I am going with the darkness along the leading wing edge = Red Tail. (on a side note I saw some Buffleheads today...)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I think there is just some confusion here Pancoast. The later posters are not identifying the photo they are referring to. To clear up confusion:

Post #1: Accipitor cooperii (Cooper's Hawk).

Post #9, 10, and 12: Buteo jamaicensis (Red Tail Hawk).