McCormick Ave. island in Sweetwater

professor yahaak

Oct 22, 2008
Does anybody know what the little island at the end of that street may have been used for "back in the day"? There are decaying pilings and some sort of small old building on the northwest edge visible from the river. It's far enough from even the larger house on the southern end of the island that perhaps it has its own story?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
pandot, the pilings you see are from a bulkhead that was built sometime in the 60's I believe. The small building you saw is also recent, and was probably just a storage shack.

I do believe that the channel on the south side of the island was dug out in order to accomodate the many vessels that used the narrow upper Mullica as a highway in the olden days.

professor yahaak

Oct 22, 2008
Thank you for the quick response.
I would have guessed the bulkhead was from much earlier, considering what's left (or not left) of it. I was hoping for something a little more intriguing, so I'll leave the "romance and mystery" to the memory of the poor schmoes who constructed what has been battered and beaten beyond its apparent age.
It's a chick thing.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I don't think that wooden bulkheads tend to last very long. But let's give due credit to the thousands of boats and jet skis which have shortened the lives of many bulkheads in the last few decades. :argh:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Thank you for the quick response.
I would have guessed the bulkhead was from much earlier, considering what's left (or not left) of it. I was hoping for something a little more intriguing, so I'll leave the "romance and mystery" to the memory of the poor schmoes who constructed what has been battered and beaten beyond its apparent age.
It's a chick thing.

guys get romantic about bulkheads also. Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

professor yahaak

Oct 22, 2008
guys get romantic about bulkheads also. Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

Where we used to live, there is an old collapsing bulkhead next to the house, which was once a tavern near a once thriving fishing village. As the story goes, construction of the bulkhead was barter for some rum... or so the story goes. Good stuff.

Thanks.