McKee City

B

BarryC

This is a little town in Egg Harbor Township.
I just uploaded a postcard of a diner that used to be there. It's on the first page of my gallery, for now.
The town itself has been swallowed up by the suburbia of modern day Egg Harbor Township. I know nothing about it, but I bet it would be interesting to know. All I know now is that English Creek Road crosses the Black Horse Pike in McKee City. That's it.
But I thought everyone would find this unusual, and tiny, diner interesting. Of course it no longer exists.
The printed text on the back of the postcard reads:
"The McKee Diner
8 miles from the beach. Black Horse Pike. Routes 48, 40, & 322. Truckers welcome. The food is good. The prices fair. I cook myself; why go elsewhere? Gertrude."
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice postcards Barry! Thanks for sharing them.

Guy

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
interesting postcard. i actually live in mckee city. i have done some historical research of the area and visited some old roads and building sites. if you go in the woods behind my house there are even old farm trenches. mckee city was once a big farming area... luckilly for me, the train used to run right through mckee city and when i was younger the tracks were still there.

i wish i knew the location of that diner. i would like to see if there isnt a home depot there now...

-Benny

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
if you are ever in mckee city, there are some interesting places to see:

there is a church next to my development which was once a synagogue, it was built in the 1800s and was one of the few synangogues in the area. almost across the street you can find chicken coups which seem out of place in such a developed time (this area was once all farms and chicken coups). down the road is the 2nd mckee city school (which i attended) built in 1943, it is now a dance studio. accross the street there once stood an old abandoned house that was torn down. behind thenow empty lot is a brand new housing development but before it was a development there were the remains of a huge factory. down the road you will come to a modernized intersection that once held the railroad. the tracks have since been removed, the old house on the corner torn down, and the Mckee City Distributors is now a string of contractors. on one corner you will find a wooded lot that once held the post office (bricks can be found in the roughage). travel shortly down west jersey ave and you can find a brand new development. one of these houses is built right on top of the original mckee city school. about 2 years ago there were still foundations and a bonus; the foundation was used as a dump in the 50s and 60s and was home to many old bottles, porcelin, and mason jars. turn around and cross west jersey and you will find a dirt road that was once McKee Avenue. unfortunately, Mckee city's history has all been swallowed up and forgotten due to over-development...

-Ben

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Ah yes, Sketches of Egg Harbor Township... If you have any questions about the history of EHT, it is all in this book at the Atlantic County Library.