McKenzie River trail 5-3-08

Mar 10, 2008
As some of you know I used to live in the pine barrens, (hence my interest in this forum), but now live in the pacific northwest. I guess this is the place I'll be posting the occasional pics from hikes out here, unless there's a better place for them, or people would rather just not bother. Don't worry I don't want my own forum, and I keep all my pics on my school's server. On second thought, we have pine trees in the cascades, I want my own forum, hypocrites :argh::ham: Last weekend I did a ~20 mile out and back on the McKenzie River trail starting at the Mckenzie river ranger station and hiking to the Trail Bridge Reservoir and then back the next day. The McKenzie river is one of two major rivers that flow into Eugene and it is the one that we get our water from. The water we drink originates in Clear Lake near the northern terminus of the trail. It's essentially all cascade snow melt. The trail is multi-use, open to mt. bikes and hikers, with very few problem, as the trail is relatively easy going and as a result doesn't attract the more hardcore X-games-style crowd. One of the public busses runs from downtown to the trailhead at the ranger's station:
mckenzie3507.gif

While we don't have any dwarf pines out here, we have the majestic douglas firs (my favorite tree), spruces, hemlocks and alders.
Here is a trillium ovatum, aka Wake Robbin since it usually blooms when the robins return.
00037-2.jpg

Most of the lower portion of the trail was like this, before it started climbing into the snow
00038-2.jpg

A USGS marker
00054-2.jpg

Elk tracks in the snow. No one had been on this portion of the trail for quite a while. I didn't see any other human tracks at all
00056-2.jpg

Some mossy rocks on a hillside that was cleared either by an avalanch or volcanic activity a long, long time ago
00057-2.jpg

Trail Bridge reservoir where I camped, down on the flat spot on the right
00069-2.jpg

My new homemade tarp under a nice pine tree on top of a soft bed of needles
tarp.jpg

It was cloudy and rainy on the way up, but it cleared up the next day
00074-2.jpg

The McKenzie river, near the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness
00077-2.jpg

And again
00080-2.jpg

On a rocky riverbank near Deer Creek
00082-2.jpg

The same place. The water was very cold and blue from all the new snow melt
00083-2.jpg

Logjammin'
00086-2.jpg

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
nice pics, that water is blue. Can you canoe or kayak that river? I would imagine it has some nice rapids

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Great pics. Water looks awesome. I like the photo of the moss covered rocks. Very cool.

Paul.

Mar 10, 2008
nice pics, that water is blue. Can you canoe or kayak that river? I would imagine it has some nice rapids

Yeah, the color was amazing. There's a sizeable industry for river guides there. It's a bit much for me, as I was steeped in lazy floating down the mullica or batsto, and don't know if I'd enjoy it as much. I think you need some sort of inflatable, most of the people use some sort of cataraft if solo, or a full sized raft with a group. Or a kayak if you're good. Some sections are easier than others, ranging from class II-V.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
rafting sounds like the way to go if you are hitting class 4 and 5's, those pictures are awesome and something i have never seen in real life, those mountains in the backround are great