McPhee

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Great writing sends me.

John McPhee is a living legend. He's been a regular contributor to The New Yorker and much of what has been published in his 27 books I've read there first. Another piece authored by McPhee has appeared in the current issue of the magazine, and the man's writing talent has compelled me to post.

What's his topic of choice this time? Lacrosse. :) But it doesn't matter what the man writes about. Just read him.

Rocks, oranges, sports, science, nature ...

The Pine Barrens.

I watch for his pieces, and I could not recall seeing one published throughout the entirety of 2008. Scared me. (Every week ... DRAT!) But two have appeared so far this year. Another book is now being published. Whew!

I've told Alfreda that, when I'm gone (and I hope this isn't until waaaay down the road, of course), I want my vial of ashes tucked between his D cups and carried to the barrens. "Deposit them so they flow down the Tulpehocken, my friend." But I have another request, Alfie. Do me a stone. Get Guy's help if you have to. And place it there alongside the creek's lower meadows. Then inscribe these words:

Here flowed Whippoorbill.
That way. --------->
Downstream.
Toward the Wading.
He said the greatest writer of his time was John McPhee.

Thanks.
Whip

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If I am around and can walk to the Tulpehocken I will put the stone there with Al :)

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Great writing sends me.

John McPhee is a living legend. . . . it doesn't matter what the man writes about. Just read him.

You nailed it, Bill. When it comes to narrative nonfiction, John McPhee is my hero. I've missed most of his New Yorker pieces but I have a whole shelf of his books, probably most of them. After The Pine Barrens, my favorite is Coming into the Country. (Alaska)

Like you, I thought he was done.

Have you heard his talk on motivational catalysts?
http://www.johnmcphee.com/mcpheeaudio.htm
SO glad to hear about the new book coming out. Maybe I can find the New Yorker essay too. Thanks for posting this.

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Great writing sends me.

John McPhee is a living legend. He's been a regular contributor to The New Yorker and much of what has been published in his 27 books I've read there first. Another piece authored by McPhee has appeared in the current issue of the magazine, and the man's writing talent has compelled me to post.

What's his topic of choice this time? Lacrosse. :) But it doesn't matter what the man writes about. Just read him.

Rocks, oranges, sports, science, nature ...

The Pine Barrens.

I watch for his pieces, and I could not recall seeing one published throughout the entirety of 2008. Scared me. (Every week ... DRAT!) But two have appeared so far this year. Another book is now being published. Whew!

I've told Alfreda that, when I'm gone (and I hope this isn't until waaaay down the road, of course), I want my vial of ashes tucked between his D cups and carried to the barrens. "Deposit them so they flow down the Tulpehocken, my friend." But I have another request, Alfie. Do me a stone. Get Guy's help if you have to. And place it there alongside the creek's lower meadows. Then inscribe these words:

Here flowed Whippoorbill.
That way. --------->
Downstream.
Toward the Wading.
He said the greatest writer of his time was John McPhee.

Thanks.
Whip

I used to like McPhee very much that is till now.I never knew he published articles in the New Yorker.I like that magazine as bout as much as you'd like Rush Limabaugh's memoirs for christmas.
As far as a stone I could use one of those stolen stones you have in the back of your pickup truck and use my steel engraver(works on stone too) and I could etch you a liberal epitaph.

"Here I lie,all broken hearted.
I missed it when Obama farted."

or would you prefer your version
above?

Alfie,

PS

their double D billy,
you should know that.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I used to like McPhee very much that is till now.I never knew he published articles in the New Yorker.I like that magazine as bout as much as you'd like Rush Limabaugh's memoirs for christmas.
As far as a stone I could use one of those stolen stones you have in the back of your pickup truck and use my steel engraver(works on stone too) and I could etch you a liberal epitaph.

"Here I lie,all broken hearted.
I missed it when Obama farted."

or would you prefer your version
above?

Alfie,

PS

their double D billy,
you should know that.

Hmmmm ... funny you should mention; Limbaugh is on the cover of the current New Yorker, pictured as a baby, crying.

Should clarify that the non-stolen stones in my truck (the mention of stolen stones on the forum might cause suspicion) come from my driveway...

They weigh down a tarp that covers my trash that I carry to the dump.

I prefer the epitath I wrote.

Whip

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hmmmm ... funny you should mention; Limbaugh is on the cover of the current New Yorker, pictured as a baby, crying.

Should clarify that the non-stolen stones in my truck (the mention of stolen stones on the forum might cause suspicion) come from my driveway...

They weigh down a tarp that covers my trash that I carry to the dump.

I prefer the epitath I wrote.

Whip

what does that one inscription on the one stone mean 1785?.....

Just jokin Guy,don't kill him:)

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I used to like McPhee very much that is till now.I never knew he published articles in the New Yorker.I like that magazine as bout as much as . . .
Alfie

Aw . . . Alfie! Beware of hasty judgments. Sure, the New Yorker may be haughty-left-liberal, but (in addition to the illustrious McPhee) they occasionally publish articles that could benefit any thinking person. Relax and enjoy their satire--often arcane--and their cartoons--sometimes amusing. Besides, where else would the radical conservatives get such delicious talking points, ready-made?

Glo

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Aw . . . Alfie! Beware of hasty judgments. Sure, the New Yorker may be haughty-left-liberal, but (in addition to the illustrious McPhee) they occasionally publish articles that could benefit any thinking person. Relax and enjoy their satire--often arcane--and their cartoons--sometimes amusing. Besides, where else would the radical conservatives get such delicious talking points, ready-made?

Glo

They're all that, and also clearly one of the ancient streams from which American literature flows. Have to give credit where it's due. I have a volume of TNY cartoons from the 50's through the 70's, and it's truly amazing to see how the content of that one publication reflected and highlighted the times.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A writer I have pledged to make myself more familiar with as what little I have read has a style that appeals to me. Among many others, when I have time. Therein lies the problem. Your endorsements Whip have me more inclined to do so.
Al however seems to have turned on this one.
Who to follow?

g.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I am at a crossroads here.Do I read the New Yorker so that I can take the info i glean from it and turn it against the enemy or do i refrain for fear of polluting my arch conservative,right wing,gone toting,bible thumping mindset?
Making fun of the new Yorker without actually reading it is as bad as everyone who was making fun of my hydroplate theory without ever having read the theory.But herein lies another problem.Every book Billy has ever given me to read has beaten me to earth within 20 pages.The most insane crap ever put to paper has passed through his mind.I quit being able to follow his humor when he graduated past Monty Python.
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
A writer I have pledged to make myself more familiar with as what little I have read has a style that appeals to me. Among many others, when I have time. Therein lies the problem. Your endorsements Whip have me more inclined to do so.
Al however seems to have turned on this one.
Who to follow?

g.

Follow me on this one, g. You put the same amount of passion into the People/Places posts I've read here on the forum as McPhee does in his essays. I think you'd find him to be a kindred spirit.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Every book Billy has ever given me to read has beaten me to earth within 20 pages. Alfie

They beat me into the earth, too, Alfie. But we both know that there are great rewards to be found in challenges. Aren't those vernal ponds more beautiful after we've brushbeat through the world's worst briar patches to reach them?

Whip

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
They beat me into the earth, too, Alfie. But we both know that there are great rewards to be found in challenges. Aren't those vernal ponds more beautiful after we've brushbeat through the world's worst briar patches to reach them?

Whip

yes and the same holds true for islands,the best islands are those surrounded by briar fortresses with nothing but deer tunnels to allow access.If you don't look like you've been through a war gettin there then for sure someones already got a deer stand on it and a bait pile.
Alfalfa

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
So you two crawl through the deer tunnels to get there?
And what do you find?

Glo

What I refer to as islands in some cases actually are islands but in many cases are just pieces of high ground surrounded by low areas of thick brush or wet swampy ground.They make excellent campsites and unfortunately make excellent deer baiting and stand areas.Deer tend to bed down on them in swampy areas.I can show you or give you coords to some of the easier ones to access.You can see some of these areas on threads posted by Bill and Woodjin of some really nice islands near roberts bogs and whip posted some nice islands along the wading river.Some islands are very difficult of access and a few seem to have even been bypassed by hunters.I believe the hunters are using aerials now to find these beautiful places as well because most of them do have stands on them anymore and i used to be able to find standless islands everywhere,now it's almost impossible.I still have a few though that are my own personal domain but they're the islands of death that only extreme bushwackers make it too.I am the equivalent of islands as what pbx bob is too spungs and medders.No place too tough if it looks good on an aerial.
Alfalfa

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
You’ve given me an amazing picture—this post goes into my file. I’ll check out those threads, especially the ones for the Roberts.
Islands of death, huh? That could characterize certain books, Al. Whacking through the briars IS a challenge, but sometimes it’s worthwhile.

my beanie is holding down my famous alfalfa hairdo
I wondered about your hairdo getting mussed up while you’re bushwacking, Alfalfa. [WHAT A GAL!!!] You might consider packing a little travel brush in your pink purse, although the beanie’s more practical. And cute. BUT with the beanie, you'll have to deal with hat-hair. Might want to see what Billy thinks.

Glo