Jan 2, 2003
This was not there yesterday morning.
P1210007s.JPG

P1210006s.JPG

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Looks like a newly planted tree/shrub as well. Perhaps his ashes were spread there. That was done for a friend in Yellowstone NP, with permission, by her family and friends.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Not to be a d#*k but I think the nursery might have hoodwinked the family. If they wanted to purchase a "pine" it appears from the photo that they were sold a common arborvitae. The tree looks like one of the many cultivars of Thuja occidentalis, a non-native to the Pine Barrens.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a concern as I am sure the state would not be happy about someone planting a tree there that is not native and maybe without permission. I am not knocking them, just wondering why they would put it there?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Not to be a d#*k but I think the nursery might have hoodwinked the family. If they wanted to purchase a "pine" it appears from the photo that they were sold a common arborvitae. The tree looks like one of the many cultivars of Thuja occidentalis, a non-native to the Pine Barrens.
I was just about to state the same Scott:)
That'll have the native plant society hopping mad

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That is a concern as I am sure the state would not be happy about someone planting a tree there that is not native and maybe without permission. I am not knocking them, just wondering why they would put it there?

Probably for the same reasons folks maintain the sites seen along the roadways, a memorial.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was just about to state the same Scott:)
That'll have the native plant society hopping mad
The backdrop in the photo has a few thousand examples of a "pine" tree just in case they need a template.

The memorial is a sad reminder of the limited time we all have here on earth. That guy was my age too which really drives it home.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The backdrop in the photo has a few thousand examples of a "pine" tree just in case they need a template.

The memorial is a sad reminder of the limited time we all have here on earth. That guy was my age too which really drives it home.

May he rest in peace.
Just had a 57 year old man I worked with quite frequently die last month. He was a noted drinker and a diabetic to boot.Not a good combination.One of the better helpers they would send me when thing got too much for me to handle alone.He was always soused at work but quite functional.Always there and did his job so the bosses looked and sniffed the other way. I"ll miss Him. He's in that big brewery in the sky now I guess.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They are a relatively new thing as I don't recall them either, don't fully understand why at the location of a persons death. That is the last place I would want to memorialize. There is another on Savoy/Woodmansie at the 'bus stop' across from the hunt club and house with 6 million cords of firewood. That's 2 within a very short distance.

This is what the wiki says about them;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_memorial#United_States

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is another on Savoy/Woodmansie at the 'bus stop' across from the hunt club and house with 6 million cords of firewood.

Bill Wasiowich lives there. I see him walking between the wood and the building when I go by.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
If anyone has been to Montana you would have noticed the white crosses along the highways marking fatal accident sites. The program was started over 60 years ago by The American Legion and is blessed by the Montana Highway Department. It is a sobering sight on some of the desolate highways.

I stayed on a ranch in MT just north of Yellowstone and the highway we travelled each day had no speed limits. I had our rental cruising at a 100 mph a few times just because we could. That particular highway ( 191 I think) was peppered with white crosses and in curves, the crosses almost looked like a picket fence.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
191 has a bad reputation, Gallatin Canyon is the worst. I never traveled it, using 89 from Bozeman into the park when we came in that way. Don't recall seeing any on 89. They modified a couple of its curves due to short sight lines and accidents involving Griz, but it didn't help much. Most time we came in on 191 from the south, WY or via West Yellowstone.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Leyland cypress...sold in bulk and mass by nurseries because they grow quickly and make great windbreaks and hedges. Cheap too. They are not long lived, especially if planted in the wrong environment. (ie: see photo). I would think that his friends would have found a more suitable tree to memorialize such a special man. My bet is that they did not ask permission from the park/state. If they did, and they got approval, it's an embarrassment.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
The memorial and shrub has been removed. This coincided with he burning of the field. They were not in the burn zone. The Christmas ornaments on the pine in the SE corner were also removed.