Memorial Weekend Exploring

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Nice work Guy - you had a productive day! We didn't even have a hint of the rain or storms at my place yesterday, which seems like a common pattern. I spent the day grilling and partying at home.

Heh, a chance find of mine the other day *might* have enhanced Guy's psychic abilities :)
Okay, then, you get the credit for being psychic, Boyd! :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Naw, the credit really belongs to Guy for all his research and hard work - I was just lucky. I went out for a walk and saw a burned out corvair next to the road. Remembering your post I thought, "wow that's interesting, another corvair!" Then I saw the marker and realized it was the same one.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I figured I would revive this post since it pertains to it somwhat. You may want to read the first post again.

Today, the temperature was the exact opposite than it was the first time we looked for these monuments. I have resumed looking because of new information I have concerning the B &O 1854 stones that the Commissioners placed along the Keith line in 1854. There are a few more to find and today was as good as any to start. Looking over aerial photo's it was obvious that the chances of finding the first one was slim since aparently the Forest Fire Service widened the road to either use it as a firebreak or to actually put out a fire in the past. The stone was on the side of the road and with the widening there is little chance it is still there. I still had to look and we had a mile walk to get there.

What once was a basic road is now disturbed on both side. Another piece of history maybe lost forever.

IMG_2210.JPG

We didn't find anything but by finding more of the monuments showing in the first post we can zero in on the exact location of the B&O 1854 stone. So a mile walk back to the car and then off to look for one of the monuments. The first one was an easy walk down a road where Bob and I have been before. We were within 50 feet of this and never knew it.

The Little Egg Harbor & Eagleswood Township monument. You can see the LE and the top of the H on this side. This is Monument # 14

IMG_2211.JPG

EW for Eagleswood on the other side.

IMG_2213.JPG

I don't know the year they were placed there but it was after 1930.

Then to Stafford Forge to find monument # 11.

IMG_2216.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

Now that I know the location of 15, 14, 13, and 11, I should be able to get to the exact spot of the stone. More later.

Guy

Reactions: John

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Using the new coordinates from today it puts the stone smack in the plowed road. Not good!

Guy