Menantico Ponds Walk -Saturday, August 27, 2011

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
The striped bass, was it a hybrid or a true fresh water striper?
Chris

The waters where I was fishing are tidal. The stripped bass I caught looked exactly like the stripped bass I catch offshore or in the back bays. When I pulled my first one in the boat and held it in front of me I thought, "What the hell is a stripped bass doing in a pond in Millville?" lol

Saturday was just the perfect day for freshwater fishing. It was cloudy and cooler with an approaching front. Usually you get days where one particular fish is biting, but on Saturday everything was biting. There was only one other boat out there with me and he was bailing them too. There were birds working and the bass were jumping out of the water hitting the bait fish, so I threw crankbait; shallow diving, double-jointed minnows. There's nothing sweeter than casting a lure and having a bass slam it as soon as it hits the water, before you even have a chance to set your bail. The largemouth bass, stripped bass and bigger pickerel were hitting the crankbait. The white perch, yellow perch, bluegill and smaller pickerel I got on spoons. I had a few hits on frogs, but didn't hook anything.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Thanks Chris:)
We barely touched the ponds themselves on that trip,at least the Menantico ponds though we did get a good look at the ponds further southeast.menantico ponds are truly a paradise.Islands all over the place and i have many times looked down into the water and seen snappers glide by twenty feet down.

I'm going to fish Lake Audrey in Mauruicetown tomorrow morning, which is a clear spring fed lake. But where I fished in Menantico Ponds was your typical South Jersey stained water. I got back there following a paved road off Rt. 49 on the outskirts of Millville, which leads to a boat ramp. I'm going to have to check Google Earth to see how to access these clear ponds you're talking about.

Reactions: ladybuglake

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Lake Audrey? I live about three miles from mauricetown and have never heard of it.Would it be the blue hole owned by the state in back of John's garage?actually between Mauricetown and Haleyville?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The waters where I was fishing are tidal. The stripped bass I caught looked exactly like the stripped bass I catch offshore or in the back bays. When I pulled my first one in the boat and held it in front of me I thought, "What the hell is a stripped bass doing in a pond in Millville?" lol

Saturday was just the perfect day for freshwater fishing. It was cloudy and cooler with an approaching front. Usually you get days where one particular fish is biting, but on Saturday everything was biting. There was only one other boat out there with me and he was bailing them too. There were birds working and the bass were jumping out of the water hitting the bait fish, so I threw crankbait; shallow diving, double-jointed minnows. There's nothing sweeter than casting a lure and having a bass slam it as soon as it hits the water, before you even have a chance to set your bail. The largemouth bass, stripped bass and bigger pickerel were hitting the crankbait. The white perch, yellow perch, bluegill and smaller pickerel I got on spoons. I had a few hits on frogs, but didn't hook anything.
The tide effects the lower ponds south of the grade,is barely perceptible at the rr grade and just slightly noticeable if you measure it in the upper ponds themselves.The tide never extends upstream from there and never rises more then a couple inches or so in the upper ponds.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Lake Audrey? I live about three miles from mauricetown and have never heard of it.Would it be the blue hole owned by the state in back of John's garage?actually between Mauricetown and Haleyville?

If you take Rt 55 south to the end it funnels into Rt.47. About two miles down the road is the Super WaWa. Make a right at the Super WaWa and drive west one mile to a bridge that crosses over the Maurice River. After you cross the bridge you'll see a yellow blinking light. If you were to turn left at that light you would be in Mauricetown, a right turn at that light will take you to Laurel Lake. Go straight through the light. About 1/2 mile beyond that light you'll see a dirt road on your right. It is unmarked. There is a small "no swimming" sign attached to a tree. That dirt road will take you back to Lake Audrey.

BTW, I grew up in Vineland and had a lot of customers in Mauricetown and Millville and I never knew Lake Audrey existed either. The lake was dead because of acidic water. The state dumped tons of lime in it 5-10 years ago to raise the PH and stocked it with fish.

http://www.sjbca.org/audreyinfo.htm

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/artlakeaudrey10.htm

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes that is the lake I was thinking of.Never knew it had a name,been swimming there for years.I usually hang my clothes on the sign.The dog goes with me.
I believe when they are using a sand wash they clean the sand with acid,hydrochloric I believe.I know from experience if you swim in a wash still being used the water will burn your eyes so yes they probably did have to sump lime in it to bring the PH to a neutral level.Given enough time I think the sand washes will adjust themselves.Menantico probably did so fast with the creek running through it.

wow! nice map.I always assumed it was deeper then that.Not a spot out there I couldn't dive to bottom.Many sand holes top out around 40 ft deep.a little too deep for me to reach bottom.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Planning a trip this week (after the labor day weekend.)I will most likely be checking out Menantico. Are there trails there? Since I do not own a kayak or canoe? Also, will venture down to Manumuskin again. I am on the hunt for Fries Mill. Question, I'm not asking exactly where it is, but if anyone can give me a general hint to where it is located in the area. Whether North, South, East, West, etc. I trek around with a 13 month old. We enjoy explorations. Also, wanted to check out other blue holes Southeast of Manumuskin. However, only if it is legal. Any insight would be appreciated. I like to prepared with me and my kid prior to any journey. However, I am a piney woman for life and can't help it. Thanks again.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Recently checked out Maskells Mill Pond. She's a beauty!! However, also checked out the Mad Horse WMA and totally creepy. When are they going to allow uploads from an IPAD on here? I want to share pictures!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Planning a trip this week (after the labor day weekend.)I will most likely be checking out Menantico. Are there trails there? Since I do not own a kayak or canoe? Also, will venture down to Manumuskin again. I am on the hunt for Fries Mill. Question, I'm not asking exactly where it is, but if anyone can give me a general hint to where it is located in the area. Whether North, South, East, West, etc. I trek around with a 13 month old. We enjoy explorations. Also, wanted to check out other blue holes Southeast of Manumuskin. However, only if it is legal. Any insight would be appreciated. I like to prepared with me and my kid prior to any journey. However, I am a piney woman for life and can't help it. Thanks again.
Pineywoman.There are plenty of trails at menantico WMA and old sand roads too.No official trails that I am aware of but many miles of good walking nonetheless.The land to the south you have to drive through is posted heavily so don't wander there but all around the ponds is perfectly legal.As for Fries Mill it is a well known site so no harm in me telling you how to get there.Park at the rr tracks on port cumberland road.Walk across the trestle over the Manumuskin crik.as soon as you hit high ground there is a trail to your right heading upstream along the west bank.this will take you straight to fries mill with an interpretive sign and map.PS keep your eyes out along the way.some nice surprises.The second surprise you come too I remember standing and used to have a piano inside.It was an old tavern and stood into the 90's till punks burnt it down.Explore the area thoropughly,you will be glad you took the walk.It is well over a mile from where you park so you will have to acryy the little one off and on no doubt.There is a shorter route but a little more involved and you would have to be proficient at either map reading or gps use for me to give you directions thats way.

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Awesome. Absolutely awesome. Btw, I love how you said "Crick" I mentioned that on another forum here. I am now on my desktop and uploading some pics to the this site. I truly appreciate it. I have a heavy duty jogging stroller and has been great for trails even in Manumuskin with some trees and debris that like to block the pathway. I am just hoping I do not get anymore chiggers.. As I did the last time. Hahahaha. Thanks, Manumuskin... the king of the preserve.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This is chigger season.If you wander off trail without Peremethrin sprayed clothes you will likely get chiggers.Manumuskin preserve is not a bad area though because of the openess of the woods.beware any grassy areas in old roads.Chiggers love grassy strips in these old roads because deer us the roads too and chiggers eat deer as well as humans and fall off along deer trails which these old roads are.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
My mom was so "chiggered up" that she had to go to the doctors and get on steroid medication. Lol. I was fine. Took off every bit of clothing left it outside. Showered. Then washed EVERYTHING I was wearing. Also, was able to rid most of them off by using alcohol wipes before I got into my vehicle. My son was untouched. Not one chigger. Lol. Thank goodness. I'm nuts to bring a kid in the woods with me. However, he LOVES it and literally laughs the entire time. He screams when I try to put him in his carseat. Does not want to go home. I have turned him into a "Piney Boy" lol. My husband has no qualms about me going on these adventures only that I do not travel on sandy roads and my phone is charged in case of any emergencies. I also wear a backpack and pack it full of emergency goodies. Food,water, bug spray, sunscreen, clothing, diapers, etc.

Manumuskin. You should do hiking tours and get paid for it. You know a lot about South Jersey. I'd be your first client. I am being serious, btw.