Menantico Ponds

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hello My Dear Brother/Sister Piney Lovers,

I was just recently at Menantico Ponds and would like to write a story. If you are aware, I like to give a little history about my little adventures when I go out and about. Is there anyone out here in Piney Land willing to give me some background information about the area? I will gladly as always mention this site and give you credit...can credit you by screen name or real name. Or if wish, none at all. Just trying to gather some information.

I know a bit, but would like to hear of your experiences at the ponds. Your exploration and history about the place or your knowledge. Thanks again!

-Pineywoman

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Menantico Ponds WMA was formerly a large scale commercial sand mining operation. It operated for many years, complete with rail car freight service.
In its heyday 1951. You may have to zoom out once loaded:
http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri...3525590589305&lon=-74.9760862441415&year=1951

It was also the site of an occult murder in 1971. :eek:
Great fodder for any story !
http://theweirdusmessageboard.yuku.com/reply/32058/OCCULT-KILLING-AT-MENANTICO-1971

The fishing there is pretty good. You need a WMA ramp permit or display a copy of a valid hunting or fishing license in your vehicle.
If there was ever a place not to explore by yourself, Menantico is it.
Way too far from the nearest public road and frequented by off road partyers. Parker Preserve has a slightly more focused user group in that there a lot of serious botanists, herpers and hikers.
Not that there aren't any axe murders among them but they do appear harmless.
:)

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
What? That is something I have not heard! An occult killing?? Umm...I WAS there all by myself and no baby either. Yea I saw the ramp. Trekked around some trails and both ponds. Saw some old mining areas. The tracks etc etc. I got to check out this occult story. Definitely good fodder!! You are the best!

Thank you for the aerials as well. Checking it out now.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
It's true. There are some strange people who hang around Menantico Sand Ponds. I go there. :D

There were some burglaries years ago when the vehicles of fishermen were broken into while they were out on one of the ponds fishing but, according to the Park policeman I spoke to, he said the few incidents they had all occurred at night. I really don't think it's an area you need to be afraid to visit. The park police and the Millville police both patrol it. I have fished there probably 15 times this year and usually arrive an hour before sunrise. The place is either deserted or there's another fisherman who launched his boat ahead of me. The majority of people you find in the parking lot where the boat ramp is located are families who are there to go kayaking.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Well, I consider myself somewhat strange. I'm totally the girly girl type, yet go out in the wilderness. I absolutely love it.

When I went back, I only saw 1 vehicle drive through and it was on a Saturday I believe. Was quite nice. I prefer the Manumuskin overall. My favorite place to explore and Franklin Parker is my new fav.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I've spent a ton of time at Menatico and Manumuskin never had any issues that I can remember. We use to party alot out there in high school, never remember the place being so torn up by ATVs back then.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Manumuskin is really my favorite to get "lost in." I always encounter something interesting. It still gets torn up by ATVs, but hey the ponds are still pretty swell.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Looks good, PW (can I call you PW? :D) Nice pictures, good descriptions.

I did notice two typos in the second to the last paragraph.
You said: (Me likely the crystal clear water) I think you meant, "Me like the crystal clear water?"
You said: I then parked the car to yonder. "yonder" should be "wander."

I went fishing at Menantico this morning. No bass:(but I did get three crappie and two pickerel (all of which were returned unharmed)

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Old crazy call me whatever you want, lol. I'm in Pittsburgh hahaha. No they were not grammatical errors. It is just myself and my personality brotha! Lol

Glad you had fun at the ponds today :)

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I fixed it to "Me Likey" we'll, because me likey. Hahahaha. You guys rock :) thank you!

I do enjoy yonder... However, If it makes you happy though.. I will be thrilled to change it to wander.

Yes, I am a crazy, intelligent woman. I love all my Piney friends. This forum keeps me rocking on. I hope to meet all you "Old Crazies" one day. We would have fun!! Hint hint....to the webmaster... Hint hint?

Lets have a get together in the Pines!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I fixed it to "Me Likey" we'll, because me likey. Hahahaha. You guys rock :) thank you!

I do enjoy yonder... However, If it makes you happy though.. I will be thrilled to change it to wander.

Yes, I am a crazy, intelligent woman. I love all my Piney friends. This forum keeps me rocking on. I hope to meet all you "Old Crazies" one day. We would have fun!! Hint hint....to the webmaster... Hint hint?

Lets have a get together in the Pines!

Wait...I don't want to cramp your style! Maybe your vernacular fits today's culture perfectly? I don't know what's going on out there in the culture today. I live in a cocoon. I don't watch much TV. In fact, the last TV series I followed was M*A*S*H*. I hang around with people who have little whales on their pants. Plus I'm pretty old. I have a copy of the King James bible. Not that that's unusual, but my copy was actually given to me by King James!

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
We'll should be well. I like to keep it a bit "fresh" old crazy.. Keep the cats interested without boring them. However, I totally agree with you!!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
http://yummygal.wordpress.com/?p=4671&shareadraft=507039264f527

Here's what I'm working on. I can even post it here once finished adding/etc for content on NJ Pine Barrens. Millville/Vineland often gets neglected on here. Hahaha.

It isn't live yet, but there's pictures.

Very nicely written Ms. Pineywoman. I can appreciate the flair toward the fun side of exploring the pines.

I do think it is important to note in your article that Menantico Sand Ponds WMA is a Wildlife Management Area (WMA)
As such, it is open to trapping and all types of hunting including deer, small game, day and night predator (coyote and fox) and waterfowl.
People should expect to encounter hunters and occasionally trappers and/or their sets when visiting. Trapping is permitted January 1 to March 15 on WMA's and is open November 15 to March 15 in all other areas of the State.
This is especially important for anyone who likes to run their dogs freely, even though that is a violation of WMA rules in itself. The exception is for hunting dogs legally pursuing game.

Scott

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Pineywoman -

Ditto Rednek's comments on your Maskells Mill Pond write-up. Just something folks need to be aware of. I know I plan any paddling trips to those areas for Sundays during gunning season.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Redneck and Amf, seriously thank you for bringing this up. I have not aired it publicly yet and honestly think I need to state this in the story. I'm glad I did post a preview here, I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. I'm glad I have folks like you to point things out that need to be stated. I just got back from a LONG humbling road trip. I'll be able to get to some more writing this week and will update. Again, thank you my piney friends!! I truly love what Ben has done with this site. I'm glad to meet fellow explorers and adventurers. It's a great feeling. This site brings something more to me than one can imagine.