Midden heaps

B

bach2yoga

Alfonso,
Know those "junkyard dumps" you like to poke around in? Found out recently that there is an actual word for them.
They are called "midden heaps".
Renee

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
These are quite common here in Central Florida, Renee. They are actually Indian garbage sites, and possibly also a final resting place for cremated Indian remains (as was their usual custom of disposing of the dead). Didn't know they also exist in South Jersey; may not be the same thing.
Dave, Ormond Beach

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Renee, as a follow-up to the above note, please refer to "American Indian middens" on the Google search engine. They've got quite a few entries there. Searching under "midden heaps" provides a lot more listings, but most of them are for other continents and cultures.
Dave, Ormond Beach

B

bach2yoga

Very interesting...cross cultural word usage!
We took a trip to Saddler's Woods; there was a midden heap there with artifacts from the railroad era that we were given permission to dig in. I found some interesting pottery sherds there.
There would certainly be American Indian "middens" here in Cumberland County, I just called them "Amerindian/Native American dumps". Digging is a big pasttime round here.
Here in Jersey, the most common form of burial was placing the body in the ground. They were buried in a fetal position in many cases, sometimes sitting inclined partially upright. In other cases they were put flat on some kind of "table" to decompose-usually if passing through an area seasonally, then they would pick up the remains on the way back, or laid in the ground in parallel bundles of bones called "bundle burials" until they could pick them up, take them home, and rebury them. Those bodies could be in graves, or in refuse disposal, like the Abbott Farm. There were also a couple of areas that did have elaborate rituals that included cremation during the Woodland period, including a site near the Abbott Farm, but they were unusual, and I think there were a few records of some earlier Native American cremations (but I am not sure).
Renee