Milestone in Haddonfield, corner of Haddon and Kkngs

Brown village

Feb 9, 2017
Linwood NJ
There is a milestone in downtown Haddonfield you may be familiar with. It's in front of Happy Hippo if you're unfamiliar.
Upon examining it, the hand points at Camden the correct way. The "Glou" side points north, up the Kings Highway, to a point roughly where Lenola Rd hits Kings Highway.

Why is this? If the hand to Glou pointed S down Kings Highway, it would hit where Kings Highway comes next to Timber Creek, a likely place for a town.

Has the sign been moved? I tried to triangulate as best as I could and found a spot around Westville where the distances and directions work.

Attachments

• IMG_20230309_124525416.jpg
    IMG_20230309_124525416.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 45

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I was wondering about this as well, when we were discussing it a few weeks ago. I couldn't think of an original location that would make both of the directions and distances correct. What spot did you come up with?

Brown village

Feb 9, 2017
Linwood NJ
Distance wise, 3mi to Camden and 5 mi to Gloucester, with the hands pointing in the right directions would be a point about in Westville today.

I mentioned this in a discussion in one of the other forums.
I initially thought Woodbury would work, based on age of the town, but that's too far south for the distance to Camden to be correct.

I also know Gloucester County was much bigger at one point.

What I'm also considering is the crossings of the Timber Creek.

As I said if you go 5 miles back the other way down Kings Highway and chews Landing Road, that drops you to a point below Runnemede almost right onto the banks of the Timber Creek, which seems like a likely place for a settlement